Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toggle off expand-from-center?
Shocked 
Hi all,

New member here. For quite some time my GIMP 2.10's been working like a dream.

Now, however, the rectangle select tool is stuck on expand-from-center - a major time-waster rather than freely manipulating the four points of the rectangle. 

How on earth does one toggle it off? Many thanks!

Michael / fuguewriter
In the Tool Options there is an option "Expand from center". Uncheck that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi, I have the issue that even if I deselect Expand from center, it constantly reselects itself. I can't work out what triggers this, sometimes it's when I open a new image, sometimes it's when editing the same image.

I tried turning it off then saving my tool options but that didn't stop the behaviour. Anyone know how to turn it off permanently?
The two selection tools that use "expand-from-center", rectangular and elliptical, can have different settings.

First thing to try:

Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then in tool options click on Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

Ok that, restart Gimp, see if it makes any difference.
Stuck Control key?
(12-31-2018, 02:14 PM)lamarkia Wrote: sometimes it's when I open a new image, sometimes it's when editing the same image.

As per my default settings,Opening a new image(without any canvas settings) will have centered and justified position.So if you want to be flexible with positioning/moving an image,
1)File - > New. Specify width and height (in pixels) which is relatively larger than the images you want to manipulate.
2)File - > Open as layers. Open the image which you want to manipulate/position.This will open your image on the current file.

As the current file background/Canvas is larger than the image that requires manipulation,We can use the move tool to position the image anywhere on the canvas and perform selections without being restricted to centered position.
(12-31-2018, 04:03 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The two selection tools that use "expand-from-center", rectangular and elliptical, can have different settings.

First thing to try:

Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then in tool options click on Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

Ok that, restart Gimp, see if it makes any difference.

I did that and so far, so good. Thank you.

(01-02-2019, 07:30 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Stuck Control key?

Do you know me?! 

(01-02-2019, 12:57 PM)techie1484 Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 02:14 PM)lamarkia Wrote: sometimes it's when I open a new image, sometimes it's when editing the same image.

As per my default settings,Opening a new image(without any canvas settings) will have centered and justified position.So if you want to be flexible with positioning/moving an image,
1)File - > New.  Specify width and height (in pixels) which is relatively larger than the images you want to manipulate.
2)File - > Open as layers.  Open the image which you want to manipulate/position.This will open your image on the current file.

As the current file background/Canvas is larger than the image that requires manipulation,We can use the move tool to position the image anywhere on the canvas and perform selections without being restricted to centered position.

I am editing hundreds of images so that would be a time-consuming method, but thank you for your reply.
Oh.So the issue was resetting tool options to "default".I have used selection tools with default settings and didn't face this issue but actually enabled "expand from center" option for the selection tools to experiment with different options in selection tools. But i disabled it and didn't face any issue of selection tools being enabled back to "expand from center".Crop tool also has "expand from center" option.