Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the best way to colorize a grayscale image ?
Again, coming from the Felt Thread.

I did it by applying the felt texture, which has a lot of white with a bit of medium gray, with the 'Value' Blendmode to the colour shapes (1.), and it seems, there arent any other options, except 'Multiply'.

This worked well for me, however whenever i applied a Bevel to a shape, the highlights and shadows were invisible (2.), because of the 'Value' layer on top, so that i had to put them one step higher in the z-order (3.).

One would think that the values of the grayscale texture, combined with coloured shapes in 'Colour' Mode, would result in a good looking colorized result, but the colours always look washed out...i guess because of the missing Saturation information ?

Slightly related video about colourizing old b/w photos, and as can be seen done in PS with the Colour Blendmode at 3:46min.

You also have Colors>Map>Gradient map
(11-17-2017, 07:44 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: You also have Colors>Map>Gradient map

Not a fan of the Gimp Gradient Map.
What kind of gradient would you use for a red colour ?
Black to red to pink (or even white)... The problem is that the Luminosity of #FF0000 is far from 100% so a plain black-to-red won't cut it. Black-to-red-to-white works better if you make it so that #FF0000 maps the grey of equivalent luminosity.
(11-17-2017, 12:51 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Black to red to pink (or even white)... The problem is that the Luminosity of #FF0000 is far from 100% so a plain black-to-red won't cut it. Black-to-red-to-white works better if you make it so that #FF0000 maps the grey of equivalent luminosity.

Tried it. Doesnt work for me. Plus making a custom gradient is too time consuming.
I can get the same effect by using a black layer with a colour layer on top, which has a layermask of the felt texture.