Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When I export an image Gimp shrinks the size of it. Any way to avoid?
So far I've only exported images as PNGs. When I paste it into Microsoft Word to print (so I can print it with other stuff) it comes out smaller than the original image. How do I get Gimp to not do that?
(10-18-2019, 08:42 AM)marigolden Wrote: So far I've only exported images as PNGs. When I paste it into Microsoft Word to print (so I can print it with other stuff) it comes out smaller than the original image. How do I get Gimp to not do that?

We need some more info:

1) What is the image size (in pixels) in Gimp?
2) What is the dpi set to in Gimp?
3) What is the required size (in inches or mm) in Microsoft Word?

In Gimp you can see the print size here Image > Print Size

(You will need 300dpi for a good quality print.)
Ninja'd by Blighty. As usual lagging behind making some screenshots Wink

Very probably, your image is too small. A common problem with beginners is using 'real world' units - inches / mm / yards or miles to set up a canvas initially.

Gimp works in pixels and sets a print size depending on pixels-per-inch ppi (sometimes pixels-per-mm, same thing) 

Go to Image -> Print size and see what it says for your image.
This example, the same image, 1264 x 1144 pixels, saved once with 72 ppi and a second time with 300 ppi. Explanation 72 ppi traditionally used for web graphics 300 ppi the rule-of-thumb for printing photographic quality.

I do not use MS but in LibreOffice the application uses the ppi value to initially size the image. It can be resized on the page but if your image shows small do not expect wonderfull quality.

Give the details as outlined by Blighty.