Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the fonts come from?
I just installed Gimp 2.10.24 on a new computer, and it's reading the fonts from the Windows Font folder even though that folder isn't listed as a font folder in the Preferences>Folders>Fonts.  All of the font folders in Preferences are empty.  Is there a way to prevent Gimp from loading the Windows fonts and only load the Fonts I put in the folders listed under Preferences?

I changed the permissions of the fonts.conf file in Program Files>Gimp2/etc/fonts. Opened the file with Notepad and removed the line <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>. I then copied a ttf font to the Program Files>Gimp 2>share>gimp>2.0>fonts folder and restarted Gimp. Now it only shows the one font, so this seems to work.
I was not aware about that (on Linux we got billions of "Noto" variant fonts, it's just insane)
I'll try to find a way on Linux...
Thank you for coming back and gave us a solution, very much appreciated.
(08-12-2021, 03:49 AM)PixLab Wrote: I was not aware about that (on Linux we got billions of "Noto" variant fonts, it's just insane)
I'll try to find a way on Linux...
Thank you for coming back and gave us a solution, very much appreciated.

On Linux you can disable fonts in your font manager. This appears to add them to /etc/fonts/disabledfonts.xml. The corresponding file seems also to become "dotted" : /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/NotoSerifTibetan-Thin.ttf becomes /usr/share/fonts/truetype/noto/.NotoSerifTibetan-Thin.ttf (and yes, my disabledfonts.xml is about 1500 lines...).
Same as ofnuts, I use a linux fontmanager. https://i.imgur.com/INaQ9Gl.jpg
This is an old version, which I pinned, it is up to version 7.x Lots of noto to disable Wink

Quote:...snip...Opened the file with Notepad and removed the line <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>....

Windows users, the hack for fonts.conf works, at least in the short term.
I am never a great fan of deleting anything, until I am sure of the consequences.
Disable the line by commenting out using <!--- --> as:
Code:
<!--   <dir>WINDOWSFONTSDIR</dir>   -->
Thanks guys, but yesterday after this thread, I was determinate to clean that plague
So I did found a code to made as a .sh file

Code:
#!/bin/bash
    # www.riksoft.it/wikiriks
    # Remove all oriental fonts in Mint 18 (surely OK for Ubuntu 16 as well)

for i in fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-noto-hinted fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei; do
      sudo apt purge -y $i
      echo
    done

echo "==== Fixing font cache"
    sudo fc-cache -f -v && sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

echo "==== Packages remained (each containing multiple fonts)"
    dpkg -l fonts\*|grep ^ii|awk '{print $2}'

echo
    read -p "Press any key to close."

It removed something like > 1GB, then I manually removed all the non Latin Noto (there were even many Indian-American fonts like Cherokee...), Still a lot of Noto remaining, but at least, what a clean, and the scrolling in GIMP became human Wink
I'm sure that this method I'm using for a few years now was worked out using information from here gimp-forum.net over several different posts anyway,
this method works also

I keep my main stockpile of fonts in an Ext HD along with folders for brushes gradients and tutorials hints well everything that goes with or can go into Gimp,

the fonts go [copied only] into > /home/YOURNAME/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts/
Add a Tag for a group or individual fonts, as you add them tag em,
the bottom box is where you can add tags.

Have the name of tags highlighted in top box
The system fonts are a no show until needed if  needed

Wasn't able to add the image