Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to put Resynthesizer / heal-selection plugins for Windows
Thanks for sharing, that heal selection tool looks super handy.  

Question: I have 2.10 on Windows 7.  Preferences shows 2 folders for plugins - the "AppData" one and the one in Program Files.  You mentioned installing in AppData etc. but could I instead install it in Program Files?  I'd prefer that location, just to keep it together with all the other plugins.  (My AppData etc. folder is empty.)  But perhaps there's a reason why the AppData is mentioned specifically?

Edit: no biggie, I installed into AppData and all's good.  And, actually, I'm now wondering if other plugins I might download could be installed into AppData even if their instructions advise to install into Program Files?  Again no biggie, but I'm thinking it might be a good way to keep track of which plugins were installed in addition to the the default GIMP ones.  (Although, for now anyways, I'm not sure how useful that keeping track would be.)
Gimp is built around plugins, you just have to look in /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ (linux) or C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (Windows) to see nearly 200 of them.

Since Gimp comes from 'nix origins where there are/were frequently many users, each with their own account and login, it makes sense to add resources that can be shared without unnecessary duplication. That is where the above locations come in.

Individual users could add their own resources into the application profile, only accessible to that user.

Not too common these days, usually one computer, one user, one login.

The place for your resources, plugins, scripts, fonts ..etc, is in the Gimp profile where they are easily managed and more importantly do not screw up future Gimp updates.

Gimp 2.8 profile
~/.gimp-2.8/ (linux)
C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ (Win)

Gimp 2.10
~/.config/GIMP/2.10 (linux)
C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 (Win)

In addition, if you do a lot of trying out this-n-that script, plugin, font.. not a bad idea to add your own easily found location for resources, which you can do via Edit -> Preferences -> Folders
Makes total sense, thanks very much.