Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 colors in FG color selection dialog
Can anyone give me information about the two colors in the color selection dialog box. If I load the original picture with the green there is no problem. When I start a new picture (here white BG) and want to work with the green color the result on my drawing is grey. I searched on the internet but found nothing about this. 
Thanks for the answer in advance.

Problem solved, I don't know how but I was working in grayscale mode and it must be RGB   Blush :

Image / Mode / RGB
Is the new picture greyscale or indexed?
(01-28-2020, 04:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is the new picture greyscale or indexed?

I know what I did : I loaded an image in grayscale and want to add color to it Blush . The status in gimp was greyscale and in that status every color become a tint of grey.

Thank you for the answer.
A quick try shows that the purple corners in the color swashes appear when I switch between an RGB image and a grayscale one. This must be Gimp indicating you that it won't use that color as is.

It is indeed... it also works for indexed images. Create an indexed image, if you set the FG/BG using the color picker on the image, there is no purple corner. If you set the FG/BG using the color chooser, you will usually get one because the color is not in the colormap. That purple color is the out-of-gamut color as set in Edit>Preferences>Color management.
(01-28-2020, 07:15 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: A quick try shows that the purple corners in the color swashes appear when I switch between an RGB image and a grayscale one. This must be Gimp indicating you that it won't use that color as is.

It is indeed... it also works for indexed images. Create an indexed image, if you set the FG/BG using the color picker on the image, there is no purple corner. If you set the FG/BG using the color chooser, you will usually get one because the color is not in the colormap. That purple color is the out-of-gamut color as set in Edit>Preferences>Color management.

Ok, I get it. Thank you for the full explanation.