Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble With Simple Background Change
Hello,

I have a GIMP image with three layers of green text and a transparent background.  I simply want to add a new white background layer behind them, but when I do, the new layer is green instead of white, and it also appears to be in the front even though it shows as the bottom layer in the Layer Window.  This, of course, causes the three original layers to be hidden.

I've tried using the Fill Tool to change this layer to white, but it doesn't work (the layer stays green, very close to the color of the other three layers).  I've even tried exporting it as a .jpg file but when it is flattened the solid green layer still covers the original three layers.

This seems like such a simple task, but I'm running out of ideas.  Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Have you tried getting rid of the transparent layer. Maybe that has some green in it. Try this first then try and add a white layer.

Or if the green is in your other layers try a colour to alpha on each layer with the colour you want to remove being the colour in your text layer outside if the text. (colour pick outside your text). You may need to select that layer first with the magic wand so the text isn't selected

Ahh reading your question properly seems like your problem is in you last step. Don't flatten your image unless you want the background to be a colour, same as with exporting to JPG's. Merge visible layers and it should be ok. But you shouldn't need an extra transparent layer in there anyhow unless it has something on it.

Smile
Have a look at the top of the Gimp window. Is the image mode Indexed ?
If it is change to RGB Image -> Mode -> RGB

30 second demo, 3 layers green text https://i.imgur.com/5HS8Oe5.mp4
Rich, when I first saw your video I really thought that changing the mode to RGB was going to do the trick.  However, it didn't make any difference.

So I read through Sallyanne's advice and tried deleting the alpha information around the letters on each of the three text layers.  That allowed me to see the text over the (green) background layer.  I tried to change this BG layer to white with the Fill Tool, but it still would not respond.  So I created a new layer underneath the three text layers and specified that it should be white.  This worked, and I now had my green text over a white background.

However, I need to be able to change the colors of both the text and the background and at the moment am still unable to do either.  It's as if there's a mask over both of them that will not allow me to do this.  Also, as a newbie, I don't understand why I had to eliminate the alpha information around the three layers of text in order for the layer underneath to be visible - I thought the alpha information was supposed to be transparent.  No?  Anyway, I'm getting there but am still struggling :-)

Any advice on how to get these layers to accept Fill commands would be helpful.  Thanks!
From your first post
Quote:I have a GIMP image with three layers of green text and a transparent background.  I simply want to add a new white background layer behind them, but when I do, the new layer is green instead of white

If that is correct and the image was Indexed, then what I described works. I do not really get this bit deleting the alpha information around the letters on each of the three text layers 

No matter, we now  have 3 layers and I hope green text in transparent layers and a fourth white background layer, all in RGB mode.  Use the alpha lock on each layer and fill with a new colour.  Careful with the bucket fill settings.

Not very successful with the first demo, living in hope another: https://i.imgur.com/j0iqRhC.mp4
Rich, I tried this and at first it didn't work. Then I double-checked everything you had marked with an arrow on your demo and discovered that I had the Fill Tool set to "Behind". I reset it to "Normal" and everything worked fine!

Thanks so much and also to sallyanne for your replies. It's my first time here but this appears to be a very helpful forum!