Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deleting filter presets
Certain filter dialogs have the ability to save Presets -- for example, the Sharpen (Unsharp Mask) filter or the Adjust Color Curves tool.

What I cannot figure out is how to delete an existing named Preset.  Also, if I change parameters and try to overwrite an existing named Preset, a new Preset is created with the same name, but each now have #1 and #2 appended to the names, cluttering up the Presets list.

It looks like the Presets are being saved in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/filters  directory.  I can exit GIMP and edit the appropriate file, but  this seems wrong.  Isn't there a way to remove them from within GIMP?

I looked through the documentation but didn't find  and general discussion of removing Presets.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
(02-05-2022, 10:21 PM)cjsmall Wrote: Certain filter dialogs have the ability to save Presets -- for example, the Sharpen (Unsharp Mask) filter or the Adjust Color Curves tool.

What I cannot figure out is how to delete an existing named Preset.  Also, if I change parameters and try to overwrite an existing named Preset, a new Preset is created with the same name, but each now have #1 and #2 appended to the names, cluttering up the Presets list.

It looks like the Presets are being saved in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/filters  directory.  I can exit GIMP and edit the appropriate file, but  this seems wrong.  Isn't there a way to remove them from within GIMP?

I looked through the documentation but didn't find  and general discussion of removing Presets.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Erasing the files using you file explorer is so far the best solution.
Quote:..It looks like the Presets are being saved in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/filters  directory.  I can exit GIMP and edit the appropriate file, but  this seems wrong.  Isn't there a way to remove them from within GIMP?

From inside Gimp ? There is the 'Manage Presets' for each filter, One-at-a-time but not that tedious.

You could set up a script and run it to delete what you want. I use one to restore the colorrc file  and delete the action-history file which can grow to a large size.

Ofnuts also has a 'tidy-up' plugin ofn-settings-cleaner.py (dated 20-09-06) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-too...s/scripts/

I have used this from Gimp 2.8 days, It keeps preset entries to a sensible size, there is a sample Gimp 2.10 .ini file. It covers the main categories, you can always add your own if you spot an ever growing file.
(02-06-2022, 09:31 AM)rich2005 Wrote: From inside Gimp ? There is the 'Manage Presets' for each filter, One-at-a-time but not that tedious.

Rich2005:

I was just looking through some old links and ran across this discussion from way back in February.  I don't know why I never saw your response, (maybe I never properly subscribed) but I never noticed the little menu button next to the "+" and I see the Manage Saved Presets... option.  That's exactly what I was looking for.   Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and my great apologies for taking so long to respond.