Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Gimp wrapping jpeg as pdf for printing?
Hi,

I've been using Gimp for years but just started having problems printing jpeg.

If I go to print preview it fires up okular pdf viewer and apparently the file is jpeg wrapped in pdf.

If I go straight to print , I select landscape for this image, and I need to expand about 125% to get best use of paper.

However when it prints , it misses off the left ( now bottom ) of the image and leaves white paper above it. Again it looks like it is embedding the jpeg in pdf and then this is what is scaled including the white space at the top ( which in not part of my image but padding of the jpeg into ( I imagine ) a default pdf A4 "page".

image props tells me it is 2700 × 2068 pixels jpeg

linux file command also confirms as jpeg:

Quote:JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, resolution (DPI), density 72x72, segment length 16, comment: "Created with GIMP", baseline, precision 8, 2700x2068, components 3

It is also taking forever ( like literally 2 min ) to send to printer.

If I print the same file from Firefox, I get the right size and placement when scaling output 125% and it's 4x faster sending to printer.

I have not done much work with Gimp recently. Is this really what it is supposed to do with a jpeg now ?

Also the preview tab in the Gimp print dialogue does NOT change with the scaling factor so it does not provide a preview !

I've been a great fan of Gimp over the years but this is not looking good.

Does anyone now what this is about ?
Gimp 2.10.24

Thanks.
Quote:Is this really what it is supposed to do with a jpeg now ?

Nope,

Quote:Also the preview tab in the Gimp print dialogue does NOT change with the scaling factor so it does not provide a preview !

Can you provide a screenshot?

Quote:I've been a great fan of Gimp over the years but this is not looking good.

Question, how sure are you that's GIMP the faulty?

Quote:Does anyone now what this is about ?

First thought without any visual clues, I would say it's your config, Okular might be set as default to open jpg/print... (I did remove Okular years ago, because it was interfering with... I would say printing, but I don't recall, at all)

Or may be your are printing from the preview which is a PDF...

When I click on the preview button in the print options (see second screenshot for print options)
here is the preview (PDF)

Or you are printing to a file which is also a PDF...
When I clcik > File > Print... in GIMP
I got tabs, options and many more as you can see below, and GIMP does print properly directly from the jpg if I chose my printer and click that "Print" button on this window (below)

Please can you provide your distro, GIMP version...

I'm on Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 / GIMP 2.10.24 from the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA

EDIT: I just see that my print's options have now only 3 tabs (before I had 4 tabs), I did updated Ubuntu few days ago... GIMP was not included in the update, thus it's not GIMP, but Ubuntu which changes my print options Wink
(08-09-2021, 07:18 AM)Gump Wrote: Hi,

I've been using Gimp for years but just started having problems printing jpeg.

If I go to print preview it fires up okular pdf viewer and apparently the file is jpeg wrapped in pdf.

If I go straight to print , I select landscape for this image, and I need to expand about 125% to get best use of paper.

However when it prints , it misses off the left ( now bottom ) of the image and leaves white paper above it. Again it looks like it is embedding the jpeg in pdf and then this is what is scaled including the white space at the top ( which in not part of my image but padding of the jpeg into ( I imagine ) a default pdf A4 "page".

image props tells me it is 2700 × 2068 pixels jpeg

linux file command also confirms as jpeg:

Quote:JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, resolution (DPI), density 72x72, segment length 16, comment: "Created with GIMP", baseline, precision 8, 2700x2068, components 3

It is also taking forever ( like literally 2 min ) to send to printer.

If I print the same file from Firefox, I get the right size and placement when scaling output 125% and it's 4x faster sending to printer.

I have not done much work with Gimp recently. Is this really what it is supposed to do with a jpeg now ?

Also the preview tab in the Gimp print dialogue does NOT change with the scaling factor so it does not provide a preview !

I've been a great fan of Gimp over the years but this is not looking good.

Does anyone now what this is about ?
Gimp 2.10.24

Thanks.

So do I. But I also use KDE. And as far as I can tell, "Print preview" is not  in Gimp, it is in the printer's dialog, which is not from Gimp.

When you print directly from Gimp, there is no JPEG, Gimp likely computes the bitmap for the required print resolution and sends it to the printer (no real compression). In Firefox, the displayed image at you screen resolution (so, lower...) is sent to the printer and scaled up.

This said, Gimp isn't very good at printing. Many people use Gutenprint, or export the image to file, and include it in a page in LibreOffice/Scribus.
This in kubuntu 18.04 and Gimp 2.10.22 (appimage)

Quote:If I go to print preview it fires up okular pdf viewer and apparently the file is jpeg wrapped in pdf.

Okular can display several formats not just PDF. Check with Okular File -> Properties : https://i.imgur.com/CzXCNOK.jpg

Quote:However when it prints , it misses off the left ( now bottom ) of the image and leaves white paper above it. Again it looks like it is embedding the jpeg in pdf and then this is what is scaled including the white space at the top ( which in not part of my image but padding of the jpeg into ( I imagine ) a default pdf A4 "page".

I have heard of print defaulting to A4 size without options, but only with Windows. Here, paper size 4 x 6, printer margins imposed, image centered. Print preview shows: https://i.imgur.com/2Rd94IC.jpg and I see that it displays with Evince which is my default system viewer.

..and if your printer is supported by gutenprint: https://i.imgur.com/2LAzTob.jpg