Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to move text?
There are two layers. One is a background image and another one is text. The text is above the image. Every time I move the text with the move tool, the image is moved mostly. 
It works sometimes, but not mostly. Why does it happen and how do I figure it out?
With the move tool hover over the text and when the mouse is displayed with only the + just the text layer will move.  If the hand is shown with the + then the layer will move. In the move options I keep pick a layer or guide and not move the active layer.
The move tool moves the first layer where the cursor hits a solid pixel.

Two layers, one text and a solid background, if the cursor is not on a solid pixel in the text layer which is easily done, then the background moves.

Ways to avoid that:
The obvious, make sure the cursor is on a solid pixel in the text layer
In the Move tool options there are buttons for Pick a layer or guide and Move the active layer Click on Move the active layer. There is also a key for this, hold the shift key down when moving.

As with most things Gimp there is an alternative.
With the Text tool active and the on-canvas displaying the text tool, then a shift-alt and click drag in the text box moves the whole tool display. Use this when entering and positioning text to avoid switching from the Text tool to the Move tool.