Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Font Folder Crashes gimp
I’ve had installed 3000 fonts in the Windows Font folder and gimp would have difficulty opening the fonts often crashing or the entire program becoming unresponsive.
I reduced the number of fonts in the folder to about 2300 fonts and it became usable but choosing a font took forever.
Is there a way to provide gimp a list of core fonts so gimp will only see the ones in the list?
Quote:...I reduced the number of fonts in the folder to about 2300 fonts and it became usable but choosing a font took forever.

Still about 2250 installed fonts too many. I wonder how much of the computer resources is tied up just on fonts.

Quote:Is there a way to provide gimp a list of core fonts so gimp will only see the ones in the list?

The short answer is, No, you can not specify a list of fonts for Gimp. It will load all those installed in Windows, even those marked hidden. It is all or nothing, when Gimp is run with the -f switch then no fonts are loaded. Might be useful for that big image you want to split up.

You could try a font manager, I know one forum member uses Nexus, there is also FontBase (edit: maybe not, looks very 'cloud' orientated), both free, both have Windows versions.

You can also go a completely different way, keep all those font files on a storage disk, not installed. Browse through them. Find the one you want. Copy to the Gimp User profile fonts folder. Refresh the fonts dock to show in Gimp.
An interesting post here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=...07240d138c

and a plugin to handle Windows fonts.