Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows + Wacom problem
Hello! First post.

I'm trying to track down a very annoying and persistent problem with GIMP in windows. Using latest most stable version. 2.10.18 I believe.

The problem is not really GIMP though. It is something to do with the Wacom tablet... OR... something to do with GTK or something which I know nothing about

When the problem happens, GIMP completely freezes. AND I get the same behavior with Krita software... HOWEVER... I found that I can still run Autodesk Sketchbook.

So here's a bunch of info.

1 - If I leave my usb Wacom tablet plugged in, things are normally fine.
2 - If I have to unplug the tablet, this is where the problem usually begins.
3 - When the bug happens, both GIMP and Krita will completely freeze up when I try to use the tablet pen. If I use the mouse it will still be ok, but the moment the pen touches the tablet it freezes.
4 - Other softwares seem to work fine all the time, including pressure sensitivity and everything.
5 - If I reboot the computer, and plugin the tablet AFTER windows is loaded, it will go back to being normal and everything works great (~~er... sometimes have to close and open GIMP again to make pressure sensitivity work... but I can live with that).

What is special about GIMP and Krita that makes this happen? They both freeze up "SOMETIMES" when something happens to the tablet. I was reading somewhere that GIMP uses GTK and GTK is a problem in Windows? Is it possible that both GIMP and Krita depend on GTK and that is why this is happening? If so, is there a way to restart GTK?

That you in advance for ANY INFO you can give me.

And here's some of my GIMP illustration if you are into that! https://www.bschu.net
Quote:...That you in advance for ANY INFO you can give me.

The Gimp developers realise that plugging/un-plugging devices is a problem.
This from https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commit/7c6...868db58ac8

- Device hotplug supported (thanks to GTK+3). In particular:
* you don't need to have your tablets and other devices plugged
before you start GIMP anymore;
* enabling your devices in the "Configure Input Devices" dialog is
not needed anymore. Tablets will work out-of-the box;
* you can safely unplug and replug the same or other input devices

That was only 5 days ago and will be for Gimp 3, whenever that comes.
(06-13-2020, 03:43 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...That you in advance for ANY INFO you can give me.

The Gimp developers realise that plugging/un-plugging devices is a problem.
This from https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commit/7c6...868db58ac8
[...]

Thank you. I think this is about the gist of the problem. I was just talking with a dev on bug tracker. Hot swapping + GTK2 is probably the problem. GIMP 3 will use GTK3 and should help fix these issues. Sadly there is no release date and I'm really getting frustrated. Been using GIMP for like 10 years and recently this happens too much for me to deal with sanely. Gotta reboot every time it starts up.