Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Gimp settings reset after Windows update
After an apparent windows update last night sometime, my GIMP has been reset to all the Preferences. I must make all my personal settings again. When I go through the directory of GIMP, I cannot find a folder with any fonts, but I seem to have all of them when I tested the text tool. It seems every time I have an update, something goes haywire in my Gimp Program. I also welcome any suggestions. Also, there are no scripts, plug-in, etc. that I have added. It is as though I have a completely new install.
Your settings and your Gimp additions (brush, patterns, scripts...) are in your Gimp profile. Is it still around after a Windows update? Is the previous version renamed?
(01-16-2020, 10:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Your settings and your Gimp additions (brush, patterns, scripts...) are in your Gimp profile. Is it still around after a Windows update? Is the previous version renamed?

I could not find another current profile.  I had an old one that I keep renamed but nothing else.  The profile in this seemingly new install had empty catagories.  

As per another thread "Gmic not loading"  Some days prior to this new install problem, I could not get GMIC to load.  It was present in the filters list and plug-in browser, and Preferences.  I had reinstalled and followed all of Rich's instructions but not work.  I installed it into this new Gimp, but it still will not work.  I have not had GMIC problems in the past.  I even tried restore, but that did not work..Sending computer to the Geeks.
Just some observations. Lets have a look at some of these problems.

Quote:I cannot find a folder with any fonts, but I seem to have all of them when I tested the text tool

Gimp will see the Windows installed fonts, buried somewhere in Windows system files but also per user, any fonts in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts
The locations for Gimp fonts are: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\fonts Used for sharing Gimp-only fonts with other users on the same computer, normally empty and C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\fonts The place for your Gimp-only fonts .

Quote:I could not find another current profile. I had an old one that I keep renamed but nothing else. The profile in this seemingly new install had empty categories.

In Windows the Gimp profile is Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 There is only one.
When Gimp starts it looks for that folder. If none, then it makes a new default folder and of course all the resource folders are empty.
There is an exception to this where there is a previous Gimp 2.8.x profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 Gimp 2.10 will migrate resources and settings from there to the new profile. No guarantee that old scripts and plug-ins will work
Always sensible to back up your working Gimp profile providing it works, an ancient one might not work.

Quote:I could not get GMIC to load. It was present in the filters list and plug-in browser, and Preferences

In Preferences Is that added as a path to the gmic gimp plug-in?
That might be a problem, an earlier version causing conflicts. The current gmic_gimp_qt installer https://gmic.eu/files/windows/gmic_2.8.2..._win64.exe is very well behaved. Installs to your gimp profile in its own folder. Usually nothing for the user to do. Just tried it and works ok. Now up to 530 filters to play with.
There are changes from earlier gmic_gimp versions, so do not expect that any old 'faves' are 100% compatible. These are stored in the gmic profile if you have an old/existing one.

Quote:..Sending computer to the Geeks....

......best of luck Pat625