Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wrapping Text Question
Another way to use polar coordinates would be to use my plugin that transforms paths. The result may not be what you want since it distorts the letters. Here are some outcomes, original text and three distortions:

In case you want to try this, some instructions follow below. You can also look at

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Path-t...5#pid19715

(post #30 in the thread) where I announced the plugin. The link to the plugin is:

http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_transforma...aster.html

The download button is at the bottom of the page. Downloading you get a ZIP file. Unzip it and place the one file it contains in your Gimp's plug-ins folder. To use the plugin, you must have some path you want to transform (made perhaps from some text layer by "Text to Path"). Right-click the path (in the Paths tab) and follow

Tools > Transformations > To polar coordinates

Left-clicking there opens the GUI of the plugin.

To get the results in the above picture I did as follows: First I made a rectangular selection below the text, slightly wider:

Then I used the plugin with the following inputs:

Note the inputs "Botton to middle" and "Bounding box to selection". Others are defaults.

The three examples in the picture were made with selections having the same top edge but the bottom edges set ever lower. By changing the selection you get different results. This is where you just have to do experiments. I cannot help since I don't quite understand it myself. But selections with smaller height seem to make taller letters. Also how low or high you place the selection makes difference.

Finally, you must scale and position the result where you want it. Since it is a path, you can do scaling without any fear of blurring.
(03-18-2021, 09:27 AM)Ottia Tuota Wrote: Another way to use polar coordinates would be to use my plugin that transforms paths. The result may not be what you want since it distorts the letters. Here are some outcomes, original text and three distortions:

YES! I am playing with this now, and its starting to work for me. I will have to read up on it, but so far Im so close to what Im looking to get out of it.

THANK YOU ALL! And my apologies for being a GIMP dummy. I been using ps for 15 years, but about to do away with it cause GIMP is proving to be a powerful tool. I dont even have to subscribe to use it. Most my work is done to help someone in need. Like memorial decals for a loved one so they can raise money for funeral expenses and whatnot. I dont charge for my work, so I can not afford a pricey monthly fee to help ppl.