Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrapping text around and filling text inside of shapes
i want to wrap text around a shapes and fill text inside of shapes in a circular pattern

Can anyone point in the right direction?

Thanks!
Examples?
(10-15-2019, 06:20 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Examples?

I'll have to make a mock example
(10-15-2019, 06:25 AM)getsignups Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 06:20 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Examples?

I'll have to make a mock example

Or you can give URLs of existing images? The question is really if "wrapping around shapes" is this:

[Image: screen-shot-2017-05-01-at-17-25-05.png]

Or this:

[Image: timberwolfs-2017-team-emblem-1.jpg]

The second is easy to do in Gimp , but the first is best done with a typesetting application.
Photo 
Ok please forgive my 'sketching' (I suck at it.)

1. As you see in the outside of the square sketch you see i have written the word "square". Its not so much about the square shape, but more so about the process /technique of taking text and having it wrap around any shape as illustrated.

2.Again, pardon the sketch. You see I have made a spiral shape. I want to have text start at a very minute dot and spiral out inside of a shape (not necessarily a square) and use repeated words/ text filling up the inside of whatever shape Ichoose.

Hopefully you understand my objective.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The best tool for the spiral and rectangle is Inkscape. Same as Gimp there is a text along path function.

This one I did several years ago with the rectangle just added.

[Image: QoDa4ZC.jpg]

Then export either as a png or svg and use Gimp to add the details. This used for printing a CD.

[Image: 0serL3V.jpg]

Although you will have a lot of manual editing to change the font size increasing from center to end of the spiral
(10-16-2019, 07:50 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The best tool for the spiral and rectangle is Inkscape. Same as Gimp there is a text along path function.

This one I did several years ago with the rectangle just added.

[Image: QoDa4ZC.jpg]

Then export either as a png or svg and use Gimp to add the details. This used for printing a CD.

[Image: 0serL3V.jpg]

Although you will have a lot of manual editing to change the font size increasing from center to end of the spiral

Thanks for the reply.So as I mentioned earlier, i want to be able to wrap text around any shape. For instance, what if I wanted to have text go all around the configuration of the state of California or the continent of Africa? Would the technique still be the same?
Yes, you would just create a path that follow the outline pf the shape.
(10-16-2019, 09:24 AM)getsignups Wrote: Thanks for the reply.So as I mentioned earlier, i want to be able to wrap text  around any shape. For instance, what if I wanted to have text go all around the configuration of the state of California or the continent of Africa? Would the technique still be the same? 

You would use "Text along a Path".
First, draw the path
Second, fit the text to the path.

Gimp comes with a built in "Text along a Path". Found at Layer > Text along Path (text and path must exist).

There is also the Ofnuts "Text along a Path". A plug-in, found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa...s/scripts/. ofn-text-along-path.zip, about 3 down.

Between those 2 you can do nearly everything you want.

For text around California I would recommend:
1) Use the path tool to create a path around California
2) Use the Ofnuts ofn-text-along-path to add the text.

For the spiral: Inkscape has a very good spiral tool. You could create the spiral in Inkscape and import it into Gimp as a path. Then use one of the above 2 to add the text.

As always, there is more than one method of doing things. So the method used can differ depending on each individual case.
(10-16-2019, 09:51 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:24 AM)getsignups Wrote: Thanks for the reply.So as I mentioned earlier, i want to be able to wrap text  around any shape. For instance, what if I wanted to have text go all around the configuration of the state of California or the continent of Africa? Would the technique still be the same? 

You would use "Text along a Path".
First, draw the path
Second, fit the text to the path.

Gimp comes with a built in "Text along a Path". Found at Layer > Text along Path (text and path must exist).

There is also the Ofnuts "Text along a Path". A plug-in, found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa...s/scripts/. ofn-text-along-path.zip, about 3 down.

Between those 2 you can do nearly everything you want.

For text around California I would recommend:
1) Use the path tool to create a path around California
2) Use the Ofnuts ofn-text-along-path to add the text.

For the spiral: Inkscape has a very good spiral tool. You could create the spiral in Inkscape and import it into Gimp as a path. Then use one of the above 2 to add the text.

As always, there is more than one method of doing things. So the method used can differ depending on each individual case.
Thanks!