Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble Creating New Fonts (- Brush)
This is my first time trying to create a custom crush and I can't seem to get this thing to export to my brushes folder no matter what I do.

It is in greyscale.

It is not transparent.

I flattened the image.

I am adding it to a folder that is selected in my font preferences.

I am trying to save it as a .gbr

Truly, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've looked at about 100 posts and all of them list something I've tried as the solution. Clearly, I'm missing something but I have no idea what.

Thanks for any help.

Error Messages:

Execution error for procedure 'file-gbr-save-internal':

Error opening file “C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\heart.gbr”: Permission denied

Saving 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\heart.gbr' failed:

Running procedure 'file-gbr-save-internal' failed: Error opening file “C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\heart.gbr”: Permission denied

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Font or brush? A GBR is a brush, and AFAIK you can't create a font in Gimp.

You are trying to save the file to a protected part of the file system (C:\Program files...). You would need to run Gimp as an admin for this.  But this isn't necessay, the right place to save your file is your user profile:
  • Go to Edit ➤ Preferences ➤ Folders ➤ Brushes
  • This list two folders, one in C:\Program files (system folders) and one in your user profile (from memory C:\Users\{your id}\Appdata\Roaming\..... This is where the file should be saved.
  • As an alternative, you can also save the file in some different folder and add it to the list above.
Putting the brush in your own user data also means that it is more likely to be backed up and less likely to be wiped out if your reinstall Gimp.
First an explanation, Gimp has a linux base where certain parts of the operating system are not accessible to a regular user.  This migrates to Windows. If you look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders and then Brushes you see that there is a writable check box. Dont try and alter that just put your brush in the writable
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes

Export and if you want to use straight away, use the refresh bottom of the brush dock. After that it will locate according to given name, not always the same as the file name.

A grayscale image exported as a .gbr brush takes the color from the foreground (FG) swatch

I somehow literally don't have a folder named App Data and the one that is listed in that space, Application Data, doesn't have a single folder inside of it. So I'm beginning to think this just isn't meant to be lol

The only location listed under the preferences is the folder I can't save to. Though I may just create a folder, add it, and throw a brush in there and see if it works.
(05-22-2021, 01:28 AM)andyf Wrote: I somehow literally don't have a folder named App Data 

AppData is a hidden folder,

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/...on-Windows

FWIW, I usually save new brushes to a temp folder  on my desktop, and then manually copy them into the target folder specified in preferences.

There is some setting in preferences that limits the folders that gimp is allowed to write to, and rather that fuss with remembering which ones work and which don't, I just do it myself to avoid the grief.

Note red arrow:
[Image: aKUPhiE.png]