Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
add brushes
I've tried to follow the tutorials on YouTube on how to install brushes.  They all say to look for the "brushes" folder and drag the brushes into it.  But I can't find a brushes folder for gimp.  I'm on a MacBook Pro.
I am not a Mac User, only this old VirtualBox for experiments, but certainly when I installed Gimp 2.10 some of the folders were missing. How common this is I do not know.

First thing to check is using Gimp and look in the User Preferences settings, in the Folders list there is one for Brushes. The first entry - Users is the place for your brushes.

Then if you do not have that folder you need to create it. Put the new brushes there.

..and that is it.   Hopefully a regular MacOS user will have better advice.
Thanks... but no cigar... I could find the Applications Support folder but there was, apparently, nothing in it, including any gimp files.

I tried creating gimp>2.10>brushes and putting the brushes in there, but when I started the program, they didn't show up.
Well I did not make those screenshots up. When Gimp first runs it should create a User profile. The paths to the user profile are shown in User > Preferences as the first screenshot. Does your installation show anything? Post a screenshot if you can.

You can of course add a brushes folder in some other location and add the path in User Preferences.
I don't like to admit this, but I'm afraid can't find a way to send you a screenshot via Quick Reply or New Reply.  When I drag the screenshot into the Quick Reply window, it shows up as a new tab with a string from my computer.  I've added it as an attachment.
I found the Users file and my file, but the library is not located under my file. Should I try to create a library or go directly to where the library is located? (When I do the latter, there is no applications support file.)
(12-30-2021, 11:37 AM)periwinkle Wrote: I found the Users file and my file, but the library is not located under my file.  Should I try to create a library or go directly to where the library is located?  (When I do the latter, there is no applications support file.)

You might want to check if the folders / files are hidden. I understand this has become the default for MacOS see: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/show-h...c-3520878/

The attachment did not come through, so just as previously discussed. I have limited experience with anything Apple, so running through the procedure again in a video. 

About 6 minutes https://youtu.be/DmaK2mHLuwM  first half is the Gimp User profile folder and second half is making a new brushes folder and adding the path in User -> Preferences

edit: Not interested in the video ? No problem - gone the the video graveyard.

Maybe it helps.
Hoopla! Thank you, I found the hidden files, added the brushes, and they work. Now for another question: How do I control the size of the brushes? Or should I start a new thread?
"Is there anybody out there?" -- Pink Floyd
The default Gimp setup looks like this:

There are sliders in the brush tool options for size / aspect ratio / angle ....
If for some reason you do not have the tool options tab then you can restore like this: https://i.imgur.com/VRENPGB.mp4