Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
an appimage testing problem that threw me
I was testing a Gimp 2.10.38 appimage on different systems. On an Ubuntu 22.04 system the appimage worked perfectly except when entering text from the text box to an image. Gimp was not logging anything typed on the keyboard but I could still type in the toolbox selection fields.

The same appimage worked on the same OS on a different machine. That was an early clue I missed. I'm pretty excitable and starting thinking this was a Gimp issue. I had never noticed you can type into the toolbox fields before.

Eventually I used info from starting Gimp from a terminal. I found Linux terminals allow 'unlimited scrollback'. It's almost unlimited but starting Gimp with heaps of old plug-ins that don't work uses a lot of unlimited scrollback Smile  One day I'll clean-up all those plug-ins.

Every time I typed in the Gimp text box and nothing happened the terminal logged an I-Bus event. I thought I-Bus must be a system utility but after googling it I remember installing it years ago. I wanted to type in Chinese on my keyboard, found it too hard and gave-up. Of course I just left I-Bus installed  Smile

What I didn't realize is IBus uses D-Bus which is started with the system and running all the time. Waiting for the day I'm testing text on an appimage. I removed I-Bus and instantly my appimage works perfectly. But first I announced on gimp-forum I had found a Gimp bug, lodged a gitlab bug report and ofnuts and rich commented that typing in a toolbox text field is normal.

So what did I learn? Linux systems properly managed are so reliable they retain your lazy mistakes for years as they keep upgrading and updating the programs you forget about. Maybe sleep on it before lodging a bug report that you have to delete the same day Smile

Don't give-up on a problem. The World always needs problem solvers because problems cost money and a lot pf people think they are not expert enough.  Problems are often solved indirectly. The guys here have solved many problems for many people and they do it for free. That's amazing!
(05-26-2024, 11:23 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: So what did I learn? Linux systems properly managed are so reliable they retain your lazy mistakes for years as they keep upgrading and updating the programs you forget about. Maybe sleep on it before lodging a bug report that you have to delete the same day Smile

Don't give-up on a problem. The World always needs problem solvers because problems cost money and a lot pf people think they are not expert enough.  Problems are often solved indirectly. The guys here have solved many problems for many people and they do it for free. That's amazing!

Linux motto: we provide loaded pistols but also the bandages.
Thanks for your help ofnuts I really appreciate it. Today was our first rainy day for months and I was able to finish a video I've been working on. I've given the Gimp 2.10.38 appimage a good workout and it's very stable. The difference between fuse-overlay-fs and kernel overlay has been reduced to one line of code.

I improved Mathmap on Ubuntu so if people are interested the newest files are here:
https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...p-v2.10.38

Quote:Linux motto: we provide loaded pistols but also the bandages.

I guess my motto is 'you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs' Smile

The French must be getting excited about the Olympics. I remember the Sydney Olympics in 2000. I was driving taxis (pre-uber) and thought I would make a lot of money. I made the same because they designed the events around public transport. I did meet people from all around the globe and that was good.