Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
basic coloring from pencil drawing
is this possible to do in gimp?

after scanning a pencil drawing or taking a photo with a cell phone

1. open the scanned drawing, which would take a layer on its own
2. create another layer, which should be transparent by default; then else it would make no sense to create a layer that by default covers whatever is in the previous visible layers that were placed there for a reason
3. lock the background layer that contains the scanned pencil drawing
4. draw in new layer the color and textures for the drawing
5. delete or hide the background layer
6. end up with a nice colored picture based on a pencil doodle drawn in paper and then scanned

This could have been made in licensed tools, I am asking if this can be done with those steps and without any extra-hassle in Gimp
Basically yes. Not sure of the usefulness of the "lock" at step3 but Gimp lets you prevent chanages to a layer (pixel/alpha/position locks).

As an option, if you drawing is black on white, you can put your "paint" layer in Darken only mode and since your colors will likely be darker than white but lighter than black the pencil drawing will show through the paint.

PS; better make a scan: 1) no need to fix geometry afterwards (you need extreme care to take a strictly rectangular photo with a phone) and 2) uniform lighting so the image is much easier to process.
(02-04-2021, 09:06 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Basically yes. Not sure of the usefulness of the "lock" at step3 but Gimp lets you prevent chanages to a layer (pixel/alpha/position locks).

As an option, if you drawing is black on white, you can put your "paint" layer in Darken only mode and since your colors will likely be darker than white but lighter than black the pencil drawing will show through the paint.

PS; better make a scan: 1) no need to fix geometry afterwards (you need extreme care to take a strictly rectangular photo with a phone) and 2) uniform lighting so the image is much easier to process.

tnx! that's what I used to do with licensed tools, but the computer linked to those licenses is not working, and not in the mood to pay rent to Adobe at the moment. I used to do this for rotoscoping also