Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brush engine creating hot pixels
Since 2.10.18 (and I think this problem may have started in 2.10.16) the brush engine is constantly creating hot pixels in areas with transparency.

The engine now does mip-mapping I think.  This may be the cause.  I even tried making brush sizes in powers of 2 (like 16,32,64,128 ...) hoping it might fix the issue.  It doesn't.

I may need some help joining the bug reporting site instead of just posting here.  Having full color bit map brushes is one of the advantages that puts Gimp ahead of Photoshop, and it now appears broken.

Tested same brush in 2.8

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bugs are report here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues

I would suggest to attach both 2.8 and 2.10 results, as well as the brush file.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/3686

This is already an issue, so they locked mine. Don't know why I haven't noticed it until lately.

A (rather bad) solution is to make the grid 1x1 pixels, and then have the snap to pixel option on, with the grid visibility off.
I don't know if the source of my problem is the same. If I make a selection (ellips) and afterwards I select 'none' then I see white and black pixel dots on the screen. If I zoom into the picture the dots disappear. I tested it out further and the pixels appear only if I am working on a picture that is zoomed out less than 100%. I don't had this problem in Gimp 2.10.14.

Gimp 2.10.18 / Windows 10

(03-04-2020, 09:22 AM)denzjos Wrote: I don't know if the source of my problem is the same. If I make a selection (ellips) and afterwards I select 'none' then I see white and black pixel dots on the screen. If I zoom into the picture the dots disappear. I tested it out further and the pixels appear only if I am working on a picture that is zoomed out less than 100%. I don't had this problem in Gimp 2.10.14.

Gimp 2.10.18 / Windows 10

Likely a left-over of the ants, not part of the image data. Could disappear also if you scroll it out of view and back.