Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
change the default export setting of untitled.png
I'm hoping this will be easy, but I can't find the info searching the web. So here I am, now on this one.

I would like to change the default export setting of "Untitled.png" to "cover.jpg" and have it export on my desktop.

I clean a lot of album covers for various websites and my music files. This is my go-to name for the covers. From there I move them to the file they belong in. The file name is the info for the cover. So having the same name on the image is not a problem and a must because my music player is set for cover.jpg as a default to pick that cover in the file. It would be nice to have it set at the startup instead of always having to change the first one every time and sometimes forgetting and having a no show named image to get in.

Please KISS "keep is simple stupid"
I'm really not to computer savvy and can get lost in the computer lingo. 

Thank you.
I have read your post several times and have to confess only understand maybe 40% of it.

however

1. Which version of linux and Desktop Enviroment (DE) are you using? Not all will easily show a jpeg file even if it is in the ~/Desktop folder. KDE5 DE (PLASMA) for example only likes widgets on the desktop.

Quote:I would like to change the default export setting of "Untitled.png" to "cover.jpg" and have it export on my desktop.

2. Assuming you can export an image to the desktop, say an initial blank image of the correct size for an album cover.
You can edit the gimp.desktop launcher file to start up with that image. Depending on the Linux and DE that might involve a text editor or some menu application.

[Image: HjNEfPg.jpg]

That is an xubuntu and the usual gimp command would be gimp-2.8 %U I changed that to point to the jpeg in my home desktop folder gimp-2.8 /home/rich/Desktop/cover.jpg

Start Gimp, it automatically opens cover.jpg, edit then when complete File -> Overwrite cover.jpg

3. Of course that is over complicated. An easier way will be have that file on your desktop. Right click -> Open with Gimp and edit then File -> Overwrite.
No not to start up with the image. and YES you can export to the desktop I do it all the time.

Ok I have multiple files in one file on my desktop from where I work on the new batch before moving them to where they will need to be.

I drop an image into gimp and clean it then.
I download "export" the image to my desktop, then move it to the proper file when done and then move on to the next.
At the start up of gimp, the default to export is untitled.png and goes to download. I have to change it every time for the first one. to cover.jpg and go to the desktop.

can I change the default "export" to what I want so at the start up it's to my liking?
as
cover.jpg and go to the desktop
and NOT as it is now with
untitled.png and goes to download
Quote:No not to start up with the image. and YES you can export to the desktop I do it all the time.

I asked that question because it is very much a Windows user 'thing' and believe it or not, that is not a given for some versions of linux desktop environment.

Quote:Ok I have multiple files in one file on my desktop from where I work on the new batch before moving them to where they will need to be.

That is you have the image files in a folder? on the desktop something like this (again a xubuntu VM, I can't easily do this in Kubuntu) Folder open on desktop, drag image into Gimp for editing.

[Image: x9uJhVR.jpg]

Quote:I download "export" the image to my desktop, then move it to the proper file when done and then move on to the next.
At the start up of gimp, the default to export is untitled.png and goes to download. I have to change it every time for the first one. to cover.jpg and go to the desktop.

That is the bit that reads strange to me, 
You edit the file in Gimp but then just want it on the desktop as 'cover.jpg' What happens to the original something.ext in the folder? abandoned? overwritten with the edited version?...

Quote:..can I change the default "export" to what I want so at the start up it's to my liking?
as cover.jpg and go to the desktop and NOT as it is now with untitled.png and goes to download
No.
The usual way is to add the folder to the open/save dialogue as ofnuts suggestion here:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Saving...63#pid1963

Or this little plugin might help, adapted from one I use for saving edited screenshots.

[Image: fJ1FYZk.jpg]

Find it in the Tools menu, You only need to set the destination 'Desktop' once per session.
It will export directly to the Desktop as cover.jpg 
Use it again and it will overwrite the previous version without confirmation.
It does mark the original file as 'clean' so when you close it there are no nags about saving.

Remember to unzip, it goes in your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins it is already set as executable but check anyway.

Attached Files
.zip   save-cover.py.zip (Size: 591 bytes / Downloads: 138)
Thank you! and on your question, the oriental image is deleted. There is no point in saving a bad looking cover or one that is the wrong size in with the mp3 file. I keep the cleaned 1000sq one and then later will tag it to all the mp3's that it belongs to. I also keep the image in the file named as cover. Some programs want the same name so it can pick that image to display. That is why they all get the same name. Smile

Rock on.

Sweet this is great just gave it a test run. Brilliant!
Thank you again. Smile

Rock on!