Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clone tool opacity
Hi all,

I'm experimenting with 2.10.2 from flathub on a machine running linux fedora 27.

Using 2.8 the clone tool with opacity set to 100% completely covers/occludes the area cloned to.  Using 2.10.2 the clone
tool with opacity set to 100% coverage seems to be *about* 50% translucent.  Same image.  Single layer.

I've searched through the 2.10 forum for a similar issue.  Can't find one and I'm reasonably confident this isn't something a developer would goof on.  So, it feels like I've missed a settings switch, but I've looked through edit/preferences and can't find anything appropriate.

Can anyone point me in a good direction?  Thanks.
Before I pack in for the night.

Check the 'Force' value. A low setting gives partial transparency even with 100% opacity

[Image: 4STr7sc.jpg]
(05-24-2018, 07:55 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Before I pack in for the night.

Check the 'Force' value. A low setting gives partial transparency even with 100% opacity

[Image: 4STr7sc.jpg]

Thanks for the reply, but no joy.  Setting force to 100% didn't result in any change.  Transparency is still in the general neighborhood of 50%.
What brush are you using? Is there a Dynamics?
(05-24-2018, 10:52 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What brush are you using? Is there a Dynamics?

I've tried 50%, 75% and 100% hardness.  All from the standard toolbox.

Basic dynamics is selected.  I've tried cloning with no dynamics options checked.  I've also tried it with smooth stroke checked.  With smooth stroke I've tried changing both quality (from 10 to 100) and weight (from 100 to 1000).  Nothing appears to change the translucency of the clone tool.
Have you tried asking the question on a Fedora forum or maybe https://discuss.pixls.us/ - there are one or two Fedora users there.
(05-25-2018, 07:16 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Have you tried asking the question on a Fedora forum or maybe https://discuss.pixls.us/ - there are one or two Fedora users there.

That's a very interesting thought.  No, I had assumed the issue was high up the stack and far away from possibly being OS related.  Is it common for problems to be linux only?

Thank you for the pointer.  I will also ask on fedora forums.  I assume you don't have the problem.  Would you be willing to share the OS you are using?
(05-25-2018, 05:57 AM)tenforty Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:52 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What brush are you using? Is there a Dynamics?

I've tried 50%, 75% and 100% hardness.  All from the standard toolbox.

Basic dynamics is selected.  I've tried cloning with no dynamics options checked.  I've also tried it with smooth stroke checked.  With smooth stroke I've tried changing both quality (from 10 to 100) and weight (from 100 to 1000).  Nothing appears to change the translucency of the clone tool.

Basic Dynamics changes the opacity (related to both Pressure and Fade, and starts around 50%). Try Dynamics Off instead.
Ofnuts is correct, the mapping matrix is as shown. Using Kubuntu 16.04 Gimp 2.10.2 flatpak

[Image: 7QH4gg9.jpg]
I think I have the problem in hand now.

I could not find a way to set "Dynamics Off" from within the application.  But, I did find clone tool tool-options settings in both ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/tool-options (fortunately flatpak puts config options in intuitive places) and /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc .  It appears that options added directly to the user-local file are simply overwritten by the application.  I didn't notice the system-wide file change doing anything.  It may not be correct for 2.10.2 .

The really good news is that "force" is removed from the clone tool just by selecting "Basic Simple" rather than "Basic Dynamics".  And, that did the trick.  Selecting opacity 100% completely occludes the area cloned to.

Now, off to do some useful work.  Thanks for the help; I very much appreciate it.