Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
color and sharpness restoration on old photo
Hi all,

Please advise how to add more black color and increase the sharpness of the photo

Thanks

Regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Because the faces of the 3 children faces in the photos have changed (with AI???) is it not possible to make a good correction. Please post the original photo.
Maybe using the gimp_gmic_qt plugin, http://www.gmic.eu This from the color presets filter.

rich just passed me, I used ; G'Mic-Qt / Color presets / Lutify.Me(7) / Hypersthene
Saturation -20

I duplicated the layer, desaturated it, color to alpha.
Then I duplicated this layer (on top) and worked with the layer modes.
The number of duplicated layers and layer modes will depend on the desired result.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(10-01-2023, 05:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Maybe using the gimp_gmic_qt plugin, http://www.gmic.eu This from the color presets filter.

Hi rich,

Thanks for your advice.  Download and extract gimp_gmic_qt.zip plugin

Performed following steps;

OS - Ubuntu 22.04 desktop Linux

$ cp gmic_gimp_qt/gmic_gimp_qt /home/satimis/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/
$ ls -al /home/satimis/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/
total 10636
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis satimis     4096 Oct  2 11:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 satimis satimis     4096 Oct  2 11:29 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 satimis satimis     5585 Oct  1 09:44 advancedtonemapping-2.10.scm
-rwxr-xr-x  1 satimis satimis 10872992 Oct  2 11:58 gmic_gimp_qt

-> Filters
I couldn't find gmic_gimp_qt plugin ?

Regards
(10-02-2023, 04:10 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: Thanks for your advice.  Download and extract gimp_gmic_qt.zip plugin

OS - Ubuntu 22.04 desktop Linux
...snip...
I couldn't find gmic_gimp_qt plugin ?  

Dear Stephen, I have a feeling that you have problems with whatever is suggested. You post the same questions on various forums and never seem to get a result.  You really do need to understand how Gimp works.

However, (and it might help other Gimp users)

I know you like using command line but for everyday activities such as moving files around you can use the built-in file manager.

(1) At the gmic site http://www.gmic.eu download the zip file appropriate to your version of ubuntu.

(2) Plugins do not go in the scripts folder, they go in the plug-ins folder ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
Use command line or filemanager, it is up to you. Unzip to extract a gmic_gimp_qt folder. Put that folder in the plug-ins folder. A plugin has to be executable, in this case the file in the folder is already executable.

(3) Correctly installed it has an entry bottom of Filters menu. You do need an open image for that to be active, otherwise greyed out.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your detail advice

I got it done with following steps on Terminal;

$ cp Downloads/Gimp_gmic_plugin/gmic_gimp_qt/gmic_gimp_qt  /home/satimis/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

$ ls -al /home/satimis/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/
total 10628
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis satimis     4096 Oct  2 17:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 satimis satimis     4096 Oct  2 17:03 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 satimis satimis 10872992 Oct  2 17:07 gmic_gimp_qt

Start GIMP with a photo

Filter -> G'MIC-Qt....

I'll try using this plugin later

Regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You could also try the 'dehaze' filter in the GMIC qt. have the output as a new layer and then put your layer mode to darken only

Smile
Where do I find the dehaze filter in GMIC qt?