Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
configuring grid
I usually want a grid that will divide the image into fixed proportions, horizontally and vertically: for instance, 7 equally spaced vertical and 7 horizontal lines, so the image is divided into 1/8ths. Is it possible to configure a grid that way, ie by proportion of the whole image rather than by pixels, inches or whatever?
(07-30-2017, 10:36 PM)lemonphenomenon Wrote: I usually want a grid that will divide the image into fixed proportions, horizontally and vertically: for instance, 7 equally spaced vertical and 7 horizontal lines, so the image is divided into 1/8ths. Is it possible to configure a grid that way, ie by proportion of the whole image rather than by pixels, inches or whatever?

Rather than using a grid, use guides.

You can set up the guides manually, or use a utility to assist with the setup. I have this one:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/12003

Looks like this:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have an ofn-preset-guides script that lets you configure sets of guides, and adds them to the Image/Guides menu (where you can call them with a single keystroke if you define the keyboard shortcut). Guide positions can be absolute or relative. Download the zip and see the HTML for instructions.
Thanks very much to Blighty and Ofnuts for your suggestions. I'm trying out both.