Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
copy paste on transparent layer
Can I copy and paste something from a transparent layer in gimp and paste it on another place on the same layer in the way the pasted information comes in place of the information where I paste it. So the old underlying information must be erased and the pasted information comes in place.
Should that not be cut (ctrl-x) instead of copy (ctrl-c) then paste (ctrl-V) gets a floating selection which can be moved.

...or am I misunderstanding the question.
I solved it by pasting the copy the information on the transparent layer
- made the floating selection a layer
- select the copy information with the fuzzy select tool
- select the transparent layer
- erase the information on the transparent layer
- merge the two layers
Use the selection (marching ants) from the copy on the transparent layer to erase the existing information didn't work for me.  
Maybe there is a better way to do this.
Thank you for the answer rich.
As long as you have something working, but I thought it went like this https://i.imgur.com/5aflN5B.mp4

...anyway, my brain is addled today trying to compile (linux) and failing lots of times, that old knotter program that uses cmake
rich, I know how to copy and paste but I want to know if there is an easy way to copy and paste on a transparent layer so that the result is the same as on a normal layer : the pasted information hide the underlying information (if the layer mode opacity is set to 100%). On a transparent layer the colors are added with each other, not replaced by the pasted information. this is normal because the layer and copied information are on a transparent layer. My question was if there was a possibility to paste something from a transparent layer on a drawing that exist on a transparent layer in the way that the pasted layer is replacing the existing information (not adding). And doing this in a simple way (little manipulations). 
PS: about the knot, Alexander the Great had a solution  Wink

A dummy example : 

.xcf   dummy.xcf (Size: 104.7 KB / Downloads: 152)

(01-28-2021, 10:01 AM)denzjos Wrote: A dummy example : 

There is a script layer-to-selection (attached) which is useful for this. Old, but still works. Find it in the Select menu.

Referring to your dummy.xcf
1. Select the small top layer.
2. Run the script layer-to-selection.
3. Select the middle layer.
4. Delete

Attached Files
.zip   layer-to-selection.zip (Size: 631 bytes / Downloads: 104)
Nice. With the workflow you mentioned the script is working perfect for this purpose (2.10.22 / windows 64 bit). 
Thank you Blighty.