Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
creating a pseudo 3d wireframe globe
Hi, i'm looking to make an image similar to this;
[Image: 11164-globe-with-meridians.png]

how would I go about recreating this image ? I understand the parts are a circle with an ellipse inside with horizontal lines and a vertical line. but what is the process achieve everything being mathematically exact with correct proportions and alignment in relation to each other?
Use guides. When adding the guides precise measurements can be used. Make sure "Snap to Guides" is turned on.

The straight lines can be added with the paintbrush. For a straight line first Click, then Shift-Ctrl Click.

For the circle, create a selection and stroke the selection. Better still, create a path and stroke the path as this gives better results.

For the ellipse you can scale the circle selection (or path) to give an ellipse and stroke that. Or create a new selection (or path) from scratch.

Put each element (circle, ellipse, line) on its own layer. Makes things much easier if editing is needed.

For that type of image vector graphics is better (Inkscape).

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-07-2019, 12:59 PM)Blighty Wrote: Use guides. When adding the guides precise measurements can be used. Make sure "Snap to Guides" is turned on.

The straight lines can be added with the paintbrush. For a straight line first Click, then Shift-Ctrl Click.

For the circle, create a selection and stroke the selection. Better still, create a path and stroke the path as this gives better results.

For the ellipse you can scale the circle selection (or path) to give an ellipse and stroke that. Or create a new selection (or path) from scratch.

Put each element (circle, ellipse, line) on its own layer. Makes things much easier if editing is needed.

thanks, I will give this a try. I do have inkscape installed but i'm less familiar with using inkscape than with gimp.
(08-07-2019, 12:59 PM)Blighty Wrote: Use guides. When adding the guides precise measurements can be used. Make sure "Snap to Guides" is turned on.

just out of interest how did you place the guidelines to the exact equal places? I tried to do it based on calculations by adding and dividing and using percentages but the final result seems like its not symmetrical and this process probably wasn't the most efficient.
(08-07-2019, 05:11 PM)musicandart2080 Wrote: just out of interest how did you place the guidelines to the exact equal places? I tried to do it based on calculations by adding and dividing and using percentages but the final result seems like its not symmetrical and this process probably wasn't the most efficient.

For the example I didn't place them accurately. I just used the mouse and dragged them in until they looked OK.

For accurate placement you need to some basic calculations. For example if your image is 1000 pixels wide. You could then place one guide at 200 pixels and another at (1000-200) pixels. This is done using Image > Guides.

There are plug-ins to make the job easier. For example, there is one that does more than one guide at a time and another that creates a grid of evenly spaced guides. Ask if you need them.