Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dialogs won't dock
this is maddening. i can't get any help elsewhere so hopefully someone here can get me out of this hell.

did a fresh install and still doesn't work. see video. i've tried Google but either my Google-fu is failing me or there's some idiotic thing i'm overlooking that no one else has because zero people seem to have this problem.

all i'm trying to do is get three dialogs on the right (layers on top, colors in the middle, tool options on the bottom) and a single column of the tools on the left. but no matter where i try to drop any dialog, at any time, it fails. again, see video.

i'm going out of my mind. any help is appreciated.

edit: word
Should be possible, although a good bit of screen area is required for those three left side docks.

Various ways but this worked: https://youtu.be/PFvV6b2Og7o

Personally I do not like the PS type layouts although they do seem popular. Half the problems you get here are because the user can not see / has closed the tool options, does not know what settings are in force.

All in the eye of the beholder Wink
(09-30-2020, 08:21 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Should be possible, although a good bit of screen area is required for those three left side docks.

Various ways but this worked: https://youtu.be/PFvV6b2Og7o

Personally I do not like the PS type layouts although they do seem popular. Half the problems you get here are because the user can not see / has closed the tool options, does not know what settings are in force.

All in the eye of the beholder Wink

thanks for the response. still no dice. i have a pretty large screen so space isn't an issue. the damn program just simply won't work. which is odd because i've used GIMP for over a decade and have never had a problem with anything like this. i did a fresh install of windows 10 a few months ago and have had this problem with GIMP since reinstalling it.

i posted another video where i replicated almost exactly what you did, but it still won't dock. and sorry, no microphone. i can add dialogs to existing docks via the button to the right of the dialog tabs (that little triangle one, the same one i use to close several dialogs in the video) but when i remove or try to reposition any dialog that's docked, it detaches and stays that way. it won't dock again unless i add it via the button i mentioned before. no matter what, there can only be two docks stacked vertically on the right. i'm at a complete loss.
Another day, another look. Not 100% certain you are hitting that 'hot-spot' That might just be the high screen resolution of your monitor getting in the way.

The dock positions are held in the file sessionrc . Attached a replacement file. Drop that into your User profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

as https://i.imgur.com/MSQDzn9.mp4   Win10 (VM) Gimp 2.10.20

If that works, sort out the contents and sizes as usual. Remember to keep at least one tab in a dock otherwise it closes.

Attached sessionrc.zip remember to unzip it Wink

Attached Files
.zip   sessionrc.zip (Size: 754 bytes / Downloads: 114)
(10-01-2020, 07:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Another day, another look. Not 100% certain you are hitting that 'hot-spot' That might just be the high screen resolution of your monitor getting in the way.

The dock positions are held in the file sessionrc . Attached a replacement file. Drop that into your User profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

as https://i.imgur.com/MSQDzn9.mp4   Win10 (VM) Gimp 2.10.20

If that works, sort out the contents and sizes as usual. Remember to keep at least one tab in a dock otherwise it closes.

Attached sessionrc.zip remember to unzip it Wink

that worked. thank you so much, Rich. i really appreciate it.

i know this is a lot to ask, but would you mind making an additional sessionrc file for me? single window mode, and any dialogs will do, that doesn't matter. two columns on the left (three rows of dialogs) and two columns on the right (three rows as well)

i know that sounds incredibly cluttered (which it is) but i'm just trying to account for other possibilities because no one seems to be able to know the solution to fixing this. if i have the ability to close dialogs i can use that incredibly cluttered one to shape anything by closing certain dialogs and leaving others open, adding dialogs where i need them with the little triangle button.

i really do appreciate your help, Rich. i've been banging my head against a wall (quite literally) trying to fix this. it has to be something on the back end. a setting or something. i've tried different screen resolutions, GIMP versions, etc. trying to fix this and nothing (or anyone) has helped besides you, so thank you.
FWIW try this one. 
Not quite 2 x 3 left and right. A single toolbox on left with tool groups makes more sense. You can still have more than one tab in a dock
This in HD 1920x1080 monitor Smile

Up to you to change it to suit. Same warning as before, keep at least one tab in a dock otherwise it closes.

attached: sessionrc.zip remember to unzip it

Attached Files
.zip   sessionrc.zip (Size: 922 bytes / Downloads: 126)
(10-01-2020, 05:57 PM)rich2005 Wrote: FWIW try this one. 
Not quite 2 x 3 left and right. A single toolbox on left with tool groups makes more sense. You can still have more than one tab in a dock
This in HD 1920x1080 monitor Smile

Up to you to change it to suit. Same warning as before, keep at least one tab in a dock otherwise it closes.

attached: sessionrc.zip remember to unzip it

thank you thank you thank you Smile