Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
selection
The two answers to my former questions helped me out. Thank you. My next problem is when I select a part of my image I can't work in that selection. I want to change size and color, mirror it or move it like once whas so easy in my unfortunately lost Photoshop.
You have to make a new layer from that selection to mirror or change the size and work on this new layer. Change the color is no problem in the selection.
(01-12-2023, 11:00 AM)denzjos Wrote: You have to make a new layer from that selection to mirror or change the size and work on this new layer. Change the color is no problem in the selection.

How you make a new layer of that selection ?  I tried but can not.
(01-13-2023, 08:17 AM)adriaannelemans@online.nl Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 11:00 AM)denzjos Wrote: You have to make a new layer from that selection to mirror or change the size and work on this new layer. Change the color is no problem in the selection.

Either Ctrl+C (or Ctrl+X) then Ctrl+V or Edit/Copy (or Cut) then Edit/Paste. Both methods create a floating selection that can be moved if you mouse over it and left mouse button drag. Then either right-click over the floating selection and select Layer/To New Layer or press Shift+Ctrl+N
(01-13-2023, 11:21 AM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(01-13-2023, 08:17 AM)adriaannelemans@online.nl Wrote:

Either Ctrl+C (or Ctrl+X) then Ctrl+V or Edit/Copy (or Cut) then Edit/Paste. Both methods create a floating selection that can be moved if you mouse over it and left mouse button drag. Then either right-click over the floating selection and select Layer/To New Layer or press Shift+Ctrl+N

looks not easy.
Quote:My next problem is when I select a part of my image I can't work in that selection. I want to change size and color, mirror it or move it like once whas so easy in my unfortunately lost Photoshop.
and
How you make a new layer of that selection ? I tried but can not.

Gimp is not Photoshop, do not assume the same workflow.

A selection is a just boundary for the enclosed area. You can change the color of the canvas with a variety of tools, also the GEGL tools will work inside the selection... just experiment.

...but it is just a boundary, Gimp does not automatically capture the enclosed pixels.
First copy them. Edit -> Copy .
Then several ways to make a new layer from that, just look in Edit -> Paste-As (new layer * new-layer-in place * new image)
Then remember to turn the selection off Select -> None
(01-18-2023, 05:54 AM)adriaannelemans@online.nl Wrote: looks not easy.

Not sure what isn't easy about that if you work through it step by step. With practice it becomes straightforward.

In V2.99.14 the process is simplified - if there is a selection copying (or cutting) then pasting will create a new layer (the intermediate floating selection stage has been discarded).