Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable Flip & Rotate?
I was wondering if there's any way to disable Flip & Rotate or at the very least unmap it from shift + middle mouse button drag? I don't see it anywhere in Keyboard Shortcuts or Input Controllers.

I'm using Gimp 2.10.2 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
Nothing that I know.

The Shift + Middle Mouse 'button' (often the scroll wheel) to rotate the canvas is a 'feature' of Gimp 2.10

Previously in Gimp 2.8 that combination (amongst others) moved the canvas around. Is that what you use it for ?

Just the middle-mouse-button on its own works equally well.
(06-21-2018, 08:41 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Nothing that I know.

The Shift + Middle Mouse 'button' (often the scroll wheel) to rotate the canvas is a 'feature' of Gimp 2.10

Previously in Gimp 2.8 that combination (amongst others) moved the canvas around. Is that what you use it for ?

Just the middle-mouse-button on its own works equally well.

Yeah, I just moved up from 2.8 and liked it better that way. The type of work I'm doing always has me holding shift + middle mouse drag, but now rotate canvas is assigned to it, so I guess I just have to teach myself to let go of shift first now.

Kinda figured it was built-in now, too bad. Thanks for your help.
I use Blender and Gimp a lot and in Blender, panning the view is done with Shift + MMB, so no matter how hard those shortcuts are carved in my head, when I frequently switch back and forth between programs, muscle memory comes to play and I hit Shift+MMB to pan the view in Gimp and end up rotating it.

It's a pity that this is not changeable at all.

I'm definitely not going to change it on Blender's side because Blender has so many shortcuts that such a change would require a whole chain of changes, whereas Gimp has very few in comparison, so right now I just learn to live with my accidental clicks.
(04-06-2020, 03:55 PM)ChameleonScales Wrote: I use Blender and Gimp a lot and in Blender, panning the view is done with Shift + MMB, so no matter how hard those shortcuts are carved in my head, when I frequently switch back and forth between programs, muscle memory comes to play and I hit Shift+MMB to pan the view in Gimp and end up rotating it.

It's a pity that this is not changeable at all.

I'm definitely not going to change it on Blender's side because Blender has so many shortcuts that such a change would require a whole chain of changes, whereas Gimp has very few in comparison, so right now I just learn to live with my accidental clicks.

I know this isn't very helpful, but I ended up downgrading to 2.8 and never looked back. I literally could not get any work done with this useless feature impeding my every move.

I'm sure there are useful features, enhancements, bug fixes, etc for other people in the newer builds. But for me, I cannot think of one thing I'm missing out on in sticking with 2.8.
I would personally not go that far. Gimp 2.10 has too many major improvements that I use all the time.

Here are some related reported issues in the bug tracker so we can follow the progress if there is any:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/3035
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/729

edit : Actually I just changed the key Bindings in Blender and there are not as many changes to make as I thought. Hopefully it's not too impractical and my brain can take it.
Yeah, I figured. That version is unusable for me at the moment though. Glad to hear you're able to work around it and that they're at least aware of it.
(04-07-2020, 08:20 AM)cbh1388 Wrote: Yeah, I figured. That version is unusable for me at the moment though. Glad to hear you're able to work around it and that they're at least aware of it.

You just have to learn that typing '!' restores the display to standard....
On my side, this could happen pretty often when switching programs so even using "!", it got pretty annoying.
Gimp and Blender have a long history of being used together for CGI. They're both free software so it makes sense to me that we should keep their usage compatible.

Blender can be adapted as I just did but as I explained it would be better to do it the other way around if we could.
(04-07-2020, 09:17 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 08:20 AM)cbh1388 Wrote: Yeah, I figured. That version is unusable for me at the moment though. Glad to hear you're able to work around it and that they're at least aware of it.

You just have to learn that typing '!' restores the display to standard....

Unfortunately, this wouldn't change much for me either. Projects would still take take 2-3 times longer than normal or would never be finished at all. The issue occurs every few seconds and causes me to have to redo every other stroke.

2.8 still works flawlessly and meets my every need, so it's basically a nonissue at this point (for me).