Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fil transparent selection with another part of image
Hi

I need to edit an xray. I have created a shape from one section of the image which i can move around. I have moved the selection shape to another part of the x ray. I want to fill this selection shape with the colour/gradient of the image behind that it sits atop. How do i do this? (Mac OSX)

I've added an attachment of where i am at the moment.

Thanks!
Rhods85

Welcome to gimp-forum.net

You need to give a bit more information about what you are trying to achieve.

Creating a selection and moving it just changes the possible area of pixels that can be manipulated in some way.
You probably (I do not know) want to select and copy an area like this.

[Image: veaaa9K.jpg]

Then perhaps, paste it back in another location. All sorts of ways to do that

[Image: idAThsC.jpg]

A straight paste as shown That moves as a layer until anchored, or it is possible to paste as a new layer and move that around to suit. Very much depends on requirements.
Hi rich2005

Thanks for getting back to me it's much appreciated.

So what i did, was trace an outline of a shape from another image,using the free shape tool. for the sake of this discussion it was a triangle. I then copied the triangle (inc fill, colour etc) and pasted it into a new image (the one i attached to my original email)

I then edited the triangle in the new image so it was completely transparent, and placed it over the section it is currently in. I want to clone the data underneath the transparent triangle into the triangle so it has the same colour/grain/texture etc, so that i can then move the triangle to another location in the image.

I've only downloaded GIMP today and have very little photo editing experience so apologies in advance if i don't make sense!

Rhods85
Sorry, still do not get it.

You made a selection in another image, copied that, then pasted into your working image. Then what? as a new layer? Probably has to be since:-

Quote:I then edited the triangle in the new image so it was completely transparent, and placed it over the section it is currently in.

Does that mean that all you want is the shape of the selection from the other image without the contents. There are ways of transferring that without the contents.

Quote:I want to clone the data underneath the transparent triangle into the triangle so it has the same colour/grain/texture etc, so that i can then move the triangle to another location in the image.

On the face of it, that is a straight copy / paste as my previous example.

Any chance of a screenshot showing the whole Gimp interface, especially the layers dialogue, something like the one I posted.
Yes, all i want is the shape without the contents from the original image. can i then transfer that empty shape/outline to the new image and use it as an outline to place it on the bone, copy the area it covers, then paste it, and move?

the bone fragment is at the top of the rear image and i want the shape of that but not the contents.
I have to pack in for the night, but a short video 1 and a bit minutes that should get you started.

Just shows a path from a selection and drag path from image to image.

https://youtu.be/5Ea3og8J7kI

I have Gimp in the default 3 window mode, to match your set up. Since you are working with a few layers make sure you are on the active layer when copying.
That video is exactly what i need! thank you so much for going to the effort and level of detail, you are a star!