Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
finding out the size of the letters - and the type
hello dear All 

can you help me with finding out the size of the charcacter -  the letter!? 

i need to find out how big /tall the letters are - in order to write more text - 

love to hear form you

regards

Attached Files Image(s)

1. Go to WhatFontIs or similar site to identify a similar font if you don' t know already, and install if you haven't got it already
  2. Create a text later over your text using the same font and text and adjust the size until they match.
Here "Roboto Bold 48" matches the height but is too wide, while "Roboto Bold 47" matches the width but is a tad small (and this also shows some small shape discrepancies, so "Roboto Bold" is likely not the exact font (which is expected because it's is mostly designed for smartphone screens).

It is also possible that the text was produced with slight font alterations (for instance using a -0.5 spacing at size 48 gives a better match) or even that the text was scaled horizontally.
(04-07-2023, 08:42 PM)sayhello Wrote: hello dear All 

can you help me with finding out the size of the charcacter -  the letter!? 

i need to find out how big /tall the letters are - in order to write more text - 

Before finding the size (which is very easy), first thing first is to find the font, https://www.whatfontis.com tells me that's a Microsoft's font named "Calibri Bold", that you can download overthere for free > https://www.dafontfree.net/calibri-bold/f63710.htm

Once the font installed, open GIMP, put your image sample text in the background and select the text tool where in the Tool Options you select the Calibri font, and make just few trial typing the same text over your image text Wink
hello dear Ofnuts and Pixlabs
many many thanks - thats just awesome.

the question is- i just downloaded - the file - the calibri-font.

note i am no a Linux Notebook - (mx-linux) - and i wonder how (!!) to integrate this file into the gimp?
how to proceed
look forward to hear from you

regards
(04-08-2023, 07:50 AM)sayhello Wrote: hello dear Ofnuts and Pixlabs
many many thanks - thats just awesome.

the question is-  i just downloaded - the file - the calibri-font.

note i am no a Linux Notebook - (mx-linux) - and i wonder how (!!) to integrate this file into the gimp?
how to proceed

regards
  • Edit > Preferences > Folders > Fonts.
  • This lists at least two folders, one being somewhere in you home directory (in ~/.config/GIMP likely).
  • With your file explorer, drop the TTF/OTF file there. Important: in Linux file with a name that begins with a dot are hidden by default, so .config will likely not show in your file explorer until you set it to show hidden files.
  • Either restart Gimp, or use Rescan font list in the fonts menu

(04-08-2023, 07:50 AM)sayhello Wrote: note i am no a Linux Notebook - (mx-linux) - and i wonder how (!!) to integrate this file into the gimp?
how to proceed

regards

Oh you're on MX Linux (my kids are on it as well, I love this distro Wink ) on MX Linux to install that font it's very straight forward and simple!

Once downloaded, just double click on it, the font installer/viewer will open automatically and you will see the font in the viewer with "Lazy dog Jumping Fox blabla.." there is a button "Install" on a corner, just click on it, you're done.

Now open GIMP > that new installed font will be part of GIMP as a part of all the font in the font's list dialog, just use it Wink
And you can throw away that downloaded font it's installed on your system.