Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuzzy tool select not working
Quote:.... I noticed a similar development.  Sometimes the FUZZY tool would work....sometimes.
And, when it DID work....the  "marching ants " were not visible.
garystan

First, according to your profile you are using Windows, so that problem for OSX does not affect you. Fuzzy selection not working ? You need to give details, most often user error, however.

If the selection is not showing, (1) You might have inadvertently turned it off. keypress CTRL-T see View -> Show Selection. (2) A 45⁰ degree selection line does not show because of the way the 'marching ants' is rendered.

If either of those happen, ways to display an active selection. 
The selection editor dock. Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Selection Editor

The Quick Mask Select -> Toggle Quick Mask or Shift Q or the toggle button bottom left of Gimp window.  This is used for painting in a selection but you can toggle on/off to check the selection.

A layer mask from selection. If you are going to delete (say) part of an image the layer mask shows the extent of the selection. That toggles on/off as well from the Layer -> Mask menu. 

You are obviously not happy with Gimp, maybe try an alternative, there are plenty around. Do a search. examples: https://www.lifewire.com/free-photo-editors-1357098
Mine is not working either. I have not used it in a while so not sure what the problem is. I will check my preferences.
(06-20-2023, 08:10 PM)judybosco Wrote: Mine is not working either. I have not used it in a while so not sure what the problem is. I will check my preferences.

This is the conclusion of the bug report for MacOS BigSur 11

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5952

That was two years ago,so if the selection marquee (crawling ants) is not working with your MacOS / Gimp 2.10 installation you probably need to update to the latest version of Gimp 2.10

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Hi there.  I use GIMP at work on a PC and at home on a Mac laptop M1 (OSX 13.4.1) .  I have GIMP 2.10.22 (revision 3) on my Mac at home.  I can't get the fuzzy tool to work.  Attached is a screen shot.  I've tried clicking everywhere and changing the settings on the side (first I did a "select none") and no 'marching ants' (I see other references to this lingo- hope it's the right one).

It used to work, but it just stopped working.

With this same image, I can get it work on the PC at work (windows 10).

Does anyone have any fixes?

Thanks kindly

RP
(07-25-2023, 12:50 AM)RP380 Wrote: I can't get the fuzzy tool to work. 

Thanks for giving a screenshot, it allows us to spot immediately the problem Wink

It's because you are in "Intersection" Mode and there is no selection (yet) to intersect) > switch to "Replace" mode (click on the first icon from the left) or "Addition" (the second one)

More about selection MODE > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tools...ct-options
Patrice
(07-25-2023, 12:57 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 12:50 AM)RP380 Wrote: I can't get the fuzzy tool to work. 

Thanks for giving a screenshot, it allows us to spot immediately the problem Wink

It's because you are in "Intersection" Mode and there is no selection (yet) to intersect) > switch to "Replace" mode (click on the first icon from the left) or "Addition" (the second one)

More about selection MODE > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tools...ct-options

Hi Patrice.  Thanks for the information, but I still can't get it to work.  I've included another example in case that helps to show me what I am missing.  I clicked on the first icon next to "Mode:, namely "Replace current selection"  and then  I clicked on the white space in the image, and still could not see the dancing ants that shows that it is selected. I tried again with the second icon "Add to current selection"  and still could not select the white space.  I looked at the link you sent, and I don't see what other setting I may have on that would interfere with this.  It used to work, but now I can't seem to get it.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  RP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-07-2023, 03:12 PM)RP380 Wrote: ...snip...and then  I clicked on the white space in the image, and still could not see the dancing ants that shows that it is selected. ...

As earlier post, it might be a specific bug relation to MacOS.

What you can try as checks.
Is Show Selection enabled in the View Menu ?
Enable Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Selection Editor to show if there is one.

A quick check, toggle quick mask which allows painting in selections.

If it's the "famous bug" on macOS, depending GIMP version and your mac version, you won't see the selection, but... it's selected, (better to update your GIMP as the bug was fixed)
To add to what rich2005 wrote, as visual reference, to help you see what you've selected, tick the check box "Draw mask" in the tool options, a magenta color will fill selection (while clicking the mouse, and disappear on mouse release)

Now to be sure if it's that bug we are speaking or not (no visible marching ants), please try to select something on an image, then copy (CMD+C) and paste (CMD+V) you should see a new layer called floating selection in the layer's dialog/stack above the original layer.
Then Click on the + (layer) icon at the bottom of the layer's stack to merge the selection to a new layer > is it what you did selected?
Patrice
Smile 
(11-07-2023, 04:06 PM)PixLab Wrote: If it's the "famous bug" on macOS, depending GIMP version and your mac version, you won't see the selection, but... it's selected, (better to update your GIMP as the bug was fixed)
To add to what rich2005 wrote, as visual reference, to help you see what you've selected, tick the check box "Draw mask" in the tool options, a magenta color will fill selection (while clicking the mouse, and disappear on mouse release)

Now to be sure if it's that bug we are speaking or not (no visible marching ants), please try to select something on an image, then copy (CMD+C) and paste (CMD+V) you should see a new layer called floating selection in the layer's dialog/stack above the original layer.
Then Click on the + (layer) icon at the bottom of the layer's stack to merge the selection to a new layer > is it what you did selected?

Hi there PixLab and Patrice.  Here's what I did:

1) Checked that selection tool is on - it was
2) Selected Toggle Quick Mask (it turned magenta)
3) in Fuzzy tool, selected draw mask

Then

4) Used fuzzy tool to select white area  [ note: no marching ants - ]
5) inverted selection (to select scroll image)
6) copied
7) pasted
8) right click on floating to paste to new layer
9) hid original image
10) It worked!  (see Screenshot 1.png)  Smile

However, I don't see what is selected (marching ants) when using fuzzy tool, so would be running blind (so to speak).

I am running OS 13.6.1 on an M1, and GIMP 2.10.22 (Version 3).

Do I need to update to get rid of this bug?  If so, would you kindly point me in the right direction (link) so I can update?  

I found this:  https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
and it shows 2.10.36 for Silicon direction (Screenshot 2.png).  Is this the recommended link?

Lastly, to update properly, I'm not sure if I download a new version and run installer package (it just overwrites existing version)  or if I need to trash existing GIMP version and then install newest version?

Many, many thanks to you both! 

RP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

(11-29-2023, 07:38 PM)RP380 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 04:06 PM)PixLab Wrote: If it's the "famous bug" on macOS, depending GIMP version and your mac version, you won't see the selection, but... it's selected, (better to update your GIMP as the bug was fixed)

Hi there PixLab and Patrice.  Here's what I did:

1) Checked that selection tool is on - it was
2) Selected Toggle Quick Mask (it turned magenta)
3) in Fuzzy tool, selected draw mask

Then

4) Used fuzzy tool to select white area  [ note: no marching ants - ]
5) inverted selection (to select scroll image)
6) copied
7) pasted
8) right click on floating to paste to new layer
9) hid original image
10) It worked!  (see Screenshot 1.png)  Smile

However, I don't see what is selected (marching ants) when using fuzzy tool, so would be running blind (so to speak).

I am running OS 13.6.1 on an M1, and GIMP 2.10.22 (Version 3).

Do I need to update to get rid of this bug?  If so, would you kindly point me in the right direction (link) so I can update?  

I found this:  https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
and it shows 2.10.36 for Silicon direction (Screenshot 2.png).  Is this the recommended link?

Lastly, to update properly, I'm not sure if I download a new version and run installer package (it just overwrites existing version)  or if I need to trash existing GIMP version and then install newest version?

Many, many thanks to you both! 

RP

Yes updating will get rid of the bug, GIMP 2.10.22 has this bug
Yes that's the good official link
When you will double on the DMG file then drag and drop to the Applications folder, mac will ask you if you want to keep your older version or /update/replace it, I always update/replace it. If you have any doubt, you can try this new GIMP before installing it .
How to try before install? > Once you have clicked on the DMG and the virtual drive opens showing the applications folder and the GIMP icon, instead of dragging it to the application folder, just double click on GIMP (Mac will ask you if you want to run it > Yes)
> this new GIMP will open but not install, make your tests, if happy, close GIMP then drag and drop GIMP to the Applications folder to install it.
Patrice