Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp removes transparency from pasted image and turns background to black
hey guys

i’ve been using gimp (2.8 i think idk) on a chromebook. i want to paste different things to other images, but when i do this to anything transparent the transparency is completely removed and turns the transparent parts to black.

someone please tell me how to fix this because it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH TEXTURINHG WITH THIS ISSUE

thanks
fahrenheit
(09-21-2020, 07:35 PM)Fahrenheit 737 Wrote: hey guys

i’ve been using gimp (2.8 i think idk) on a chromebook. i want to paste different things to other images, but when i do this to anything transparent the transparency is completely removed and turns the transparent parts to black.

someone please tell me how to fix this because it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH TEXTURINHG WITH THIS ISSUE

thanks
fahrenheit

Not clear if the transparent parts are in the copied pixels or in the target layer... Make sure the target has an alpha channel: Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel.
(09-21-2020, 07:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 07:35 PM)Fahrenheit 737 Wrote: hey guys

thanks
fahrenheit

Not clear if the transparent parts are in the copied pixels or in the target layer... Make sure the target has an alpha channel: Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel.

the files i am working with have alpha layers
As far as I know, there are various ways to use Gimp in a Chromebook
There is an old apk installer that uses a limited version of Gimp in a 'virtual machine' type wrapper. I do not suppose anyone uses that these days..but you never know.
The newer Chromebooks run a version of linux as a sub-system and the Chromebook user can install Gimp from a linux repository. You can find the Gimp version using the Gimp menu Help -> About.
There is an on-line version of Gimp. I think called XGimp This has no official connection with Gimp. No guarantee that it is a full implementation of Gimp.

Which one are you using? or is it something else.

Quote:..i want to paste different things to other images, but when i do this to anything transparent the transparency is completely removed and turns the transparent parts to black.

Paste into other images ? Other images open in Gimp or other images open in some other application. Different applications display "transparency" in different ways. Not always as a checker pattern, some might use white, some might use black.

Then there is image format. What are you using? png supports transparency but jpeg does not. Transparency gets replaced by a solid colour usually white but not always. Then gif format, can use transparency but it is limited to a color-map. Add a gif to another gif image can result in changes.

Give a bit more information, I know it is difficult using chromeos but try.
i will send a video of my issue later