Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with gfig fill option
Hello everyone I am new here.

I am having some issues with filling a Gfig shape I made. I'm not sure what happened I had filled the triangle before with a vertical gradient Red and white. Something happened that made it turn black and now it wont fill. The stroke is working just not the fill option any ideas?

Thank you.

[Image: Screenshot_(12).png?1661640047]                                                                                                                                                             
Try to change the gradient color > click on that gradient bar in gfig, a new window opens, change the gradient ➤ don't click OK yet ➤ click again on your favorite gradient, now Click OK, you go back to the main gfig and try again to draw you triangle.
This might happen after some Ctrl+Z (undo) inside gfig

On a side note, for everything equilateral, stars, polygons, I would recommend to draw them with the Symmetry Painting tool in "Mandala" mode, (if not showing in your docks go to Windows ➤ Dockable Dialogs ➤ Symmetry Painting), you will get the full canvas view and better controls on the thickness of your brushes.. (just don't forget to put it in None mode after drawing Big Grin ) ➤ https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-symmetry-dialog.html

The gfig plugin is well past its sell-by date. It was good in Gimp 1.2 twenty-something years ago but there are better tools these days. Learn to use the path tool.

AFAIK, once a color setting is set it is fixed in the gfig layer even if you want to change it. I might be wrong but looks that way to me.

If you want to change, make a new (empty) layer and restart gfig to make a new gfig layer.

Something like this 1 minute animation: https://i.imgur.com/nxH1bDM.mp4
[attachment=8582 Wrote:rich2005 pid='30902' dateline='1661710528']The gfig plugin is well past its sell-by date. It was good in Gimp 1.2 twenty-something years ago but there are better tools these days. Learn to use the path tool.

AFAIK, once a color setting is set it is fixed in the gfig layer even if you want to change it. I might be wrong but looks that way to me.

If you want to change, make a new (empty) layer and restart gfig to make a new gfig layer.

Something like this 1 minute animation: https://i.imgur.com/nxH1bDM.mp4

Hey Rich. 

Thank you for the reply. I didn't set the fill in color then decide to change it. Something happened that changed it and I just wanted to have it go back to what I had originally chosen. When it happened I immediately hit cntrl+z but nothing happened. If I remember correctly I had pulled up the Gfig again and accidently drawn a small line across the same layer. I suspect this is what caused the issue (maybe not?‍♂️). Anyways I ended up redoing it.  How can I make a mathematically correct triangle using the path tool?

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:.. How can I make a mathematically correct triangle using the path tool?

Any three sides are mathematically correct Wink   but for say an isosceles triangle.  Bring up the grid from the view menu and make a triangle using the grid and the paths tool. To join the start and end points hold the ctrl key (look for a double circle icon) and click on the first point. Turn the grid off from view menu.

I would get used to using the Unified transform tool in path mode to scale / move / rotate the path.

Then to color in the triangle Select -> Path to Selection and fill with solid / pattern / gradient.  Edit -> Stroke Path for an outline.

You might think is complicated compared with gfig but it easily editable and the path remains to re-use at a later date.

There are plugins to make path shapes, some simple, some complicated. I recommend, get used to the basics first.

example:  https://i.imgur.com/nV8Fq3J.mp4