Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Make This?
I want to use images like this, the black and white images, as alphas for ZBrush. I can't find out how to make them. Can you make them in GIMP? https://www.textures.com/download/3dbrush0089/127532
(09-29-2020, 09:07 PM)green61 Wrote: I want to use images like this, the black and white images, as alphas for ZBrush. I can't find out how to make them. Can you make them in GIMP? https://www.textures.com/download/3dbrush0089/127532

I didn't log in to the site, so I couldn't download the textures available on the site.
Using a low resolution copy of the image from the link provided I was able to create some brushes.
[Image: spSGmAJ.png]
[Image: RvdCNiL.jpg]
Big caveat, I have a Zbrush in my archive but it is from 2006, so just my two-euros worth.

All the resources in that version are psd files. This one of the 'alphas' Greyscale 16 bit integer.

Nothing special to make one of these, fill with black, paint in with white, maybe apply a blur if required.

My advice is pull one of the alpha files from your copy of zbrush and open it in Gimp. Making a new image should use the same properties. Otherwise use `Image -> Precision' and set 16 bit integer there.

Exporting:
Gimp 2.10.20 can now export a 16 bit PS psd file. Still a bit buggy. The first export is ok, but re-exporting to the same file generates errors. If that happens, save as a Gimp .xcf, close and reopen Gimp, open the xcf and export as a psd.  As far as I know this has been fixed in the next release.  The 16 bit greyscale psd I made did import in that old Zbrush.
Tiff can be a problem. I would avoid it. There is a problem with the way Gimp exports. That old copy of zbrush does not recognise a Gimp tif 8/16 bit - compressed or uncompressed. (Zbrush is not alone the RGB-CMYK converter I use flags up these errors as well.) The only thing you can do with tiff is try and see what happens.
Thanks for the help. To me the "Alphas" look like X rays. I am going experiment with them in GIMP and see what I come up with.