Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to auto align layers?
Question 
Hi,

For multiple handheld (bracketting) shots, the subjects are often not aligned exactly. After opening them as layers in GIMP, how to let the software align them based on the subjects in the pictures? There is "align visible layers" option under "image" menu, but I'm not sure how to use it.

thanks,

Jason
"Align visible layers" is definitely not the onel you are looking it for, since it align edges of layers.

To make two layer to exactly overlap, you can use my ofn-layer-aligner script. The help is included in ZIP, basically you select two points on a reference layer and two points on the subject layer, and it scales/rotates/translates the subject so that the two points overlap those the reference layer.

However the real tool for this is Hugin, since it will also take in account the geometry changes induced by the the slightly different orientation of the lens axis.
(05-23-2017, 06:06 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: "Align visible layers" is definitely not the onel you are looking it for, since it align edges of layers.

To make two layer to exactly overlap, you can use my ofn-layer-aligner script. The help is included in ZIP, basically you select two points on a reference layer and two points on the subject layer, and it scales/rotates/translates the subject so that the two points overlap those the reference layer.

However the real tool for this is Hugin, since it will also take in account the geometry changes induced by the the slightly different orientation of the lens axis.

Thanks for your reply. Is it "Hugin panorama stitcher"? does it work independent of GIMP, or is it a plugin?

I found this:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/download/
Yes, that's the one. It is an independent program.