Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to know image opened as svg
I opened an svg image that I exported with librecad's "export as makercam svg" option and gimp opened the svg with transparent backgroun but an ellipse in my drawing was distorted.
Then I tried librecad's "export as image" option and selected file type as svg. Then I opened that image in gimp. Now the ellipse looks fine but now it opened with a white background as if opening an image, not a transparent background. How can I tell if the second image opened as svg?

Or how can i make the ellipse look regular in the first image?
Quote: I tried librecad's "export as image" option and selected file type as svg. Then I opened that image in gimp. Now the ellipse looks fine but now it opened with a white background as if opening an image, not a transparent background. How can I tell if the second image opened as svg?

Import a svg, the import dialogue has a tickboxes for Import paths and Merge imported paths. Choose the Import paths option. Then you can make a new transparent layer and delete the white layer - Stroke the paths if you want, for a bitmap.

Quote:Or how can i make the ellipse look regular in the first image?

Big however for LibreCAD: This is my drawing. https://i.imgur.com/w9tBheN.jpg Two ellipse one point and drag, the smaller one 4-point. No difference in properties I can see.

In Gimp using LibreCAD export as image (svg) Does not look bad until you zoom in. Ellipse paths composed of very many small paths and not a smooth path. Looks like it has been following the rendered pixel boundaries. example: https://i.imgur.com/6vGDEyo.jpg

My advice, start looking at using Inkscape. LibreCAD default format is dxf. Inkscape will import a .dxf file but the ellipse is scaled. https://i.imgur.com/m5X5sWS.jpg Why ? I do not know.

Alternative exports from LibreCAD are that drawing (SVG) format and also PDF. Both work in Inkscape, both have annoyances. The svg drawing lines need converting from polyline objects to vector. The PDF needs ungrouping to work on individual shapes. There is still the multitude of paths making an ellipse, but these are quickly simplied, a single menu item. https://i.imgur.com/1s3rG4b.jpg There the large ellipse is simplified, small still lots of paths.

As a new svg from inkscape, into Gimp looks like this, still a bit of work to do, consolidating those polylines back into the object shapes. https://i.imgur.com/QI7Bhgp.jpg
How can I make a new transparent layer and delete the white layer? I mean I made a new transparent layer but then how do I delete the white layer and what does the new transparent layer have to do with the svg that I opened? Yes I marked the "import paths" option by the way
And even with white background does it mean the drawing is still svg?
All I want is to draw on the lines as if drawing by thick black pencil
(07-14-2021, 10:10 AM)snowforest Wrote: but an ellipse in my drawing was distorted.

I have had this problem when opening an svg (created in Inkscape) in Gimp. The workaround is to (in Inkscape) do Object to Path. Then the circle/ellipse opens correctly in Gimp.
Quote:How can I make a new transparent layer and delete the white layer? I mean I made a new transparent layer but then how do I delete the white layer and what does the new transparent layer have to do with the svg that I opened? Yes I marked the "import paths" option by the way

What does it have to do with the LibreCad svg? When you exported a drawing (svg) from LibreCAD it asked you what colour background. White is default. You asked for a transparent layer how-to in the first post. Adding / Deleting  can be done from the layers menu or the layers dock.

Quote:And even with white background does it mean the drawing is still svg?

Well you exported as a drawing (svg).  Gimp is not a vector editor. Use something like Inkscape for that. Import a svg into Gimp and the vector is rasterized, those svg paths become coloured pixels. If you want to change that then you need to use the paths, but no, it is no longer a svg image, it is a raster image.

Quote:All I want is to draw on the lines as if drawing by thick black pencil

Open the svg in Gimp.
Add an new layer Layer -> New Layer
Delete the original layer - click on it in the layers dialogue - Layer -> Delete layer
Merge all the paths in the paths dock - Make all the paths visible - right click for merge all visible paths.
Stroke the paths with suitable size Edit -> Stroke path
Turn the path visibility off.

40 second animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/rizkR1o.mp4

edit: You probably need to make the canvas a little larger. Use Image -> Canvas Size for that.
Quote:Open the svg in Gimp.
Add an new layer Layer -> New Layer
Delete the original layer - click on it in the layers dialogue - Layer -> Delete layer
Merge all the paths in the paths dock - Make all the paths visible - right click for merge all visible paths.
Stroke the paths with suitable size Edit -> Stroke path
Turn the path visibility off.

Thanks for the effort to answer but I do not understand your answer. I am beginner, whose only purpose is to draw on lines on a svg drawing with black pencil.

Per the steps you wrote above:
I opened the svg in gimp
I added a new layer
I deleted the original layer. - Now I have nothing but an empty layer, with nothing on it. The original layer and all lines in it are gone.
Merge all the paths in Merge dock? What is merge dock? Where? I do not see a "merge dock" anywhere.... And what path? I deleted the only layer which had a path per your instruction in the previous step. I do not even get to making all paths visible because I do not even see where it it and I do not have a path. I am staring at a blank layer with nothing in it.
The path dock is near your layer dock (if you have multiple paths, right click on them to access the context menu and follow rich2005's instructions)

@ snowforest: See if you can follow this short video demonstration. 2 1/2 minutes, no audio.  https://youtu.be/wZFbAhPpHNs

(1) LibreCAD Image Export Options
(2) Set the Bitmap size resolution. This does affect the path(s) larger is better
(3) Set Background - White.

(4) Open in Gimp 2.10
(5) Use the Import Paths option 
(6) If you do not want to merge the paths yourself use the Merge Imported Paths option
(7) Go to the paths dock and turn the path visibility on
(8) Go to the layers dock and make a new layer Layer -> New Layer
(9) Go to Edit -> Stroke Path  Choose a size to suit drawing.
(10) Optional: Fill base layer or delete base layer or....up to you
Thanks great video. I am able to stroke with normal line
But I am not able to stroke with pencil as I wanted . In stroke path menu I select stroke with a paint tool. Then I select my paintbrush.(ANd on the left I had already a pencil selected. But it doesn't stroke .

Also I do not understand the purpose of new layer.
Quote:Also I do not understand the purpose of new layer.

That gives you more options. Stroke the path on the transparent layer and you can add an effect under the drawing, say, a paper effect 
..or at some later date add the image over some other image.

Not able to stroke the path ?

I do not know why. Something in your procedure.

It goes like this:
(1) Make sure you are on the correct layer
(2) Choose a suitable brush. All will work but some better than others. Try the Grunge 01 brush
(3) Use the Paintbrush tool. The pencil tool works but gives a "hard" line.
(4) Set a brush size to suit the drawing.
(5) Edit -> Stroke Path and enable stroke with a paint tool. Paintbrush is the default tool. OK to stroke the path.