Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to make an image more crisp
Hello,

I'm trying to improve the following photo:

.xcf   IMG_1488 - v - L.xcf (Size: 938.31 KB / Downloads: 365)

My camera had too much haze on the lens that day, causing the image to not be as crisp as it could be. I've improved it somewhat by increasing the contrast and the saturation a bit, but it could still use some more improvement. Other than increasing the contrast and saturation, does anyone know how to make images more crisp?
Can we have the original image?
(07-19-2018, 06:29 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Can we have the original image?

Sure, here it is:

Just with the Curves tool:
  • At the bottom left, the "black point" has been move to the left to coincide with the most values you have in the image (the darkest tones aren't black in your image). This increases (slightly...) the available range.
  • Increasing contrast is done by using an S-shaped curve with a steeper increase in the tones where the detail is. The Contrast bit of Brightness-Constrast does it too, bu the steep increase is around 128 and this isn't always where the details are.
Done with 2.10 (which is why there is a split view) but you can do the same thing in 2.8 (without the split view).

(07-20-2018, 06:22 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Just with the Curves tool:
  • At the bottom left, the "black point" has been move to the left to coincide with the most values you have in the image (the darkest tones aren't black in your image). This increases (slightly...) the available range.
  • Increasing contrast is done by using an S-shaped curve with a steeper increase in the tones where the detail is. The Contrast bit of Brightness-Constrast does it too, bu the steep increase is around 128 and this isn't always where the details are.
Done with 2.10 (which is why there is a split view) but you can do the same thing in 2.8 (without the split view).
Well done.
My different approach, just to try:
- duplicate layer
- add a mask on this duplicated layer white to black (top-down)
- set this layer mode to multiply
- new layer from visible (normal)
- duplicate visible
- unsharp mask
- set this layer to multiply (75.0 opacity)
- duplicate, desaturate, invert values, set to softlight (25.0 opacity)
- final layer as new from visible
- apply level to have the lowest value to pure black

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks both for your responses,

Ofnuts, your technique works if I apply it to different selections throughout the page, feathering for smoothness.

dinasset, I didn't try your technique but I'm sure it works just as well. It's useful to have it on here for others to find.
(07-21-2018, 03:26 PM)gib65 Wrote: Thanks both for your responses,

Ofnuts, your technique works if I apply it to different selections throughout the page, feathering for smoothness.

dinasset, I didn't try your technique but I'm sure it works just as well. It's useful to have it on here for others to find.

You don't need feathering, you need luminosity masks.