Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to install resynthesizer in gimp 2.10 on linux
hi folks,

this is a little guide on how to install resynthesizer plugin in gimp 2.10 on debian linux. resynthesizer provides handy plugins like 'heal selection'. this tutorial was tested on debian linux, but it may work on other distributions as well. i wrote this guide bc other tutorials i found didn't work for me.

anyway, here's my tutorial:

step 0: make sure the package 'gimp-plugin-registry' is NOT installed on your system. afaik it's only crap in there anyway.

step 1: install package 'gimp-python' from the latest debian version pool. for me it was:

Code:
1. add 'buster' release pool to /etc/apt/sources.list
    (e.g. 'deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib')
2. sudo apt update
3. sudo apt install gimp-python/buster

step 1.1: make sure you have the following packages installed, or else the compilation (next step) will fail:
  • automake
  • libglib2.0-dev
  • libgimp2.0-dev
  • intltool
step 2: git clone https://github.com/bootchk/resynthesizer to somewhere you wan't to have it. then cd into it and run the following to compile the plugin scripts:

Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

make sure you have the following packages installed, or else the compilation will fail:

step 3: open up gimp and see if it worked. open gimp from the command line to catch possible errors.
note: maybe you have to add /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins to your plugin folders list in the gimp preferences.

i hope this is useful. don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problems or questions Smile
"gimp-plugin-registry" isn't just crap... Yes it contains a huge number of outdated scripts, but besides resynthesize, it also has the focus blur and a few other very useful plugins.
I will sit on the fence. The gimp-plugin-registry_9.20180625_amd64.deb (debian buster)

Not worth installing.

20 plugins, no focus blur in this one but there is dbp / separate+ / webexport which do not work or have more recent alternatives. Resynthesizer (with associated files) is ok, not sure the version but looks like 2.03

164 scripts Most will not work. Some python plugins strangely put in the scripts folder eg. file-ora.py (not needed any more) cmyk-tiff-cmyk-pdf.py (has not worked since Gimp 2.6) and a couple of others.

No reason why a user can not unpack the deb and cherry-pick some of the files to go in their user profile.
(06-11-2020, 07:40 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: "gimp-plugin-registry" isn't just crap... Yes it contains a huge number of outdated scripts, but besides resynthesize, it also has the focus blur and a few other very useful plugins.

but the resynthesizer plugin that comes with 'gimp-plugin-registry' doesn't work for me and breaks my tutorial, so i'm leaving this as it is.

(06-11-2020, 09:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: No reason why a user can not unpack the deb and cherry-pick some of the files to go in their user profile.

you can get the source of a debian package to the current directory with

Code:
sudo apt-get source [package]

maybe you have to add/ change a line in your sources.list from 'deb…' to 'deb-src'. more info here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...ource-code

you could then look for the scripts inside. maybe you have to compile them before you can use them.

alternatively, you can

Code:
sudo apt download [package]

and view the .deb file with an archive manager. it's just a zip file with another ending. it contains the files with their path where they will be copied at installation. guess you could unzip that file and copy the files you want yourself to their designated destination.
Quote:guess you could unzip that file and copy the files you want yourself to their designated destination.

Why would you want to put in root ? (unless you have multiple users) the place for you plugins is in your user profile.

Just in case any linux user comes along who does not want all the overhead needed to compile.

There are pre-compiled versions, no guarantee that they work with your installation but worth a try:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...1#pid11261 nearly 3000 downloads, must work for someone.

...and if you use a Gimp 2.10 appimage, that comes with resynthesizer already installed.