Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making a 'spokes on a wheel' design
EDIT - after posting, I realized I posted to the wrong forum.  I'll try to contact the Admins to get it moved/removed.

Hi all, I'm using GIMP 2.10.8  on  Mac 0S Sierra 10.12.2.  

How can I create a series of lines that radiate from the canvas center, and mark out equal segments of a circle? (I've put in place a horizontal and vertical guide, with the snap to guides turned on)

I've drawn two line segments, one that crosses the center of the canvas, and one that begins in the center of the canvas.  But the rotate tool is based on a point in the center of my line segment.  

ps - there is a video that shows how to do something like this, but there is no sound (!) and my eyes aren't good enough to see what s/he is actually doing. (I hope in this case it's ok I'm posting a link, I think it's the best way to explain)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN856eOx71k

Thank you very much
Hikaru

(I have some experience using photoshop, and I've made a flyer and a business card so far with GIMP.)
Try this simple script. Similar to your referenced video it uses paths, Some time in your project these need stroking on a layer to produce a graphic.

However a couple of very short demos. Since this is script-fu no automatic merging of paths, you need to right-click and merge visible. (shift-click on an 'eye-bal' to toggle all visibility)l 

Edit: just seen your Edit - now using Gimp 2.10 - no problem, the following is in Gimp 2.8 but exactly the same in Gimp 2.10

https://i.imgur.com/vFqf0ZL.mp4   and    https://i.imgur.com/XzGHvY8.mp4  (Even if you can see these too well, the script dialogue is self-evident.)

Unzip the attachment. PathRotator2.scm
MacOS and scripts ? I think these go in /Users/MyName/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.10/scripts
You might have to make the scripts folder yourself.

edit: attachment modified for 400 maximum

Attached Files
.zip   PathRotator2.zip (Size: 1.32 KB / Downloads: 139)
(08-16-2020, 11:58 AM)Hikaru Wrote: EDIT - after posting, I realized I posted to the wrong forum.  I'll try to contact the Admins to get it moved/removed.

Hi all, I'm using GIMP 2.10.8  on  Mac 0S Sierra 10.12.2.  

How can I create a series of lines that radiate from the canvas center, and mark out equal segments of a circle? (I've put in place a horizontal and vertical guide, with the snap to guides turned on)

I've drawn two line segments, one that crosses the center of the canvas, and one that begins in the center of the canvas.  But the rotate tool is based on a point in the center of my line segment.  

ps - there is a video that shows how to do something like this, but there is no sound (!) and my eyes aren't good enough to see what s/he is actually doing. (I hope in this case it's ok I'm posting a link, I think it's the best way to explain)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN856eOx71k

Thank you very much
Hikaru

(I have some experience using photoshop, and I've made a flyer and a business card so far with GIMP.)

One of the many things you can do with my ofn-path-to-shape plugin.

If this is for some kind of dial I also have scripts for thisSmile
Using ofn-path-to-shape.py
1a - With the Paths Tool, trace a straight segment with the desired diameter length.
1b - On the Paths tab, with the right mouse button select:
Shapes - On Segments - Polygons Or Spokes (Fig 01)

2 and 3 - In the Paths tab, select the unnamed path new path (PolygonsOrSpokes ...), with the right mouse button select:
Shapes - On Segments - Circles.

Wow - you guys are so wonderful!  I'm going to read it all, process it, try it and report back.  

Thank you!
(08-16-2020, 12:49 PM)pid=\19396 Wrote:Hi all - thanks again so much for helping me out before.  I have some follow up questions

Hi Rich2005 - I got that to work Smile   (would there be any way to get this tool to generate  spokes to divide the circle into 365 sections?)

Ofnuts - I'm curious about any other scripts you have.    I'd like to have one with 365 sections.  Is there something that could do that?
Krikor - It looks like I installed the plugin, but I don't see the options you mentioned.  Any ideas about what might be going on?  (Hopefully the screenshot of my rightclick on the paths tool came through)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Did you download the correct file ? https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa...p/download  dated 2016-12-26

The one you show is path-edits (currently top of Ofnuts list of plugins). At least you know that you can get a python plugin installed and it is a very useful plugin. My advice is leave it.

Otherwise, check list:
The download as above, is unzipped and ofn-path-to-shape.py copied to the plug-ins folder
The file is marked as executable (should be anyway but check)
The file is not zero size, I had this strange case copying from a USB stick into the Gimp plug-ins folder. Got there eventually Wink

Quote:..I got that to work [Image: smile.png]   (would there be any way to get this tool to generate  spokes to divide the circle into 365 sections?)...

Just noticed that. Edited the script and raised maximum to 400. You will need to re-download from the earlier post and replace the version you have.