Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making blur work
earlier today, I clicked on the blur tool, clicked on my picture, and it blurred that part of my picture. (size depending on size)

I would like to do that again, but it doesn't work -- no blurring occurs. (I do get a "convolve" added to the left of my screen.) I have tried, well, starting with a no picture with no layers, adding layers, using picture select, using other pictures, google, the search engine here, turning Gimp off and then back on, holding the shift key, getting to blur from the menu and reducing opacity at the top. I guess I could try pushing all the keys at once and turning my whole computer on and off, but I will send this first.
You seem to have tried many of the usual fixes so post a screenshot of Gimp showing the blur tool options, layers dialogue. Somebody might spot something.  Something like this, don't worry about theme or dock positions

Have you tried resetting the tools Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

Edit: Not a tool I ever use, but if you are trying to increase the blur over an area already blurred, try increasing the "Rate" bottom of the blur tool options.
(09-11-2022, 08:09 AM)rich2005 Wrote: You seem to have tried many of the usual fixes so post a screenshot of Gimp showing the blur tool options, layers dialogue. Somebody might spot something.  Something like this, don't worry about theme or dock positions

Have you tried resetting the tools Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options then Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

Edit: Not a tool I ever use, but if you are trying to increase the blur over an area already blurred, try increasing the "Rate" bottom of the blur tool options.
thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

figured it out, I think. When I zoom in to 16 x 1, I can see the circle around the cross. And when I blur, there is the tiniest of effects. It's too small to be of any use, but it's there.

One webpage suggested rate setting, but that wasn't in the menu (see above). So I don't have that option

Plus, in doing this I lost the blur menu (I clicked on the brush editor icon). I can solve that problem by uploading a new version of GIMP. Maybe it will have rate also.

I think it saved my settings in the new upload. (sad face) well, that's a different problem.

To summarize, blur might SEEM to not be working, but it might be working and the effect is too small to see. The solution is to change some setting on some menu, with "rate" being the logical first choice.

There should be a circle around the plus, but again that might not be visible if the blur area is too small. To check this, zoom in to 16x and see if the circle appears. Also you can try increasing size (assuming you have that menu or know how to find it).

Thanks!
Your blur is working, it's just you don't know how to use it
First your Opacity is at 80%, put it at 100%
Make brush size bigger than the element you want to blur as it could blurs mostly in a middle to smoothly fades out, but this will depend your setting, more about this tool ➤ https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-convolve.html

Quote:blur might SEEM to not be working

If you do not SCROLL DOWN on the Tool Options you will never find the Rate slider nor the Blur or Sharpen options, if it does not blur, may be you are on the sharpen option

Quote:To summarize, blur might SEEM to not be working, but it might be working and the effect is too small to see.

It is a big canvas. The blur tool goes back to earlier Gimp versions where images were much smaller and the tool was comparatively more effective. The edge blur is there when you zoom in almost at a pixel level. The amount of blur is increased with the 'rate' value but it is not indefinite. 8 to 10 pixels is it. No good applying over-and-over-again as your undo list shows.

The Gimp help page https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-convolve.html does give advise on using other methods.

One strange thing from the undo list, the black-on-white line was 'painted' in with the eraser tool. Is that part of your actual procedure ?
The biggest effect I found today was size of image. In the picture below, both blurs are made with a pass back and forth at the same settings. For the top, the size was 1500 x 1000. For the bottom it was 600 x 400. That's a big difference in effect. (The picture for which I could not see the blur was 1298 x 1728.)

Rate also seems to have an effect, as does opacity. But not enough.

I am guessing that GIMP is slow with a large brush size and a small brush size doesn't capture enough area to be effective.

Thanks again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)