Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moving a layer ?
I'm a bit lost here.  gimp 2.10

I opened an image file.
I made a copy layer.
then I made another layer.
then I hid the first layer. the image file.
then I made active the top layer.
then I traced with the bush tool some feature from the underlying copy layer onto the top layer.
then I found with the move tool I could move the underlying layer all around the canvas, so that it was right off it if I liked.
But I can't move the top layer that I drew on at all.
what am I doing wrong?
Best guess:

..and a recap: Open image (1)  duplicate (2) make a new layer with transparency for a trace (3)

Gimp 2.8 or Gimp 2.10 each the same. The move tool will move the layer with the first 'solid' pixel under the cursor. 
With (3) active and the cursor in a 'transparent' area 'solid' is layer (2)

Either, Make sure the cursor is on a solid pixel or Enable the 'Move the active layer toggle' (4) in the Move Tool options.
Ahh... thank you very much. All is clear now. Haven't tried it yet but I"m sure it will work. Smile

edit. Well 'put it on a pixel' works okay. I'd like to do the toggle though. And there's no tools options.

So I googled it and found 'windows/tools options/move active.

And tried that. Blew it's mind I think. I've now got 'crawling ants' all around my second layer drawing' (which is a traced line)

I'll figure it out I guess. This has somehow become a selection I suppose?
There could be other reasons. Rule number 1 in any type of computer. Nothing is guaranteed until proven. Wink

--------------
Ok, missed your updated post:

You have done (1) Which is OK. Move the active layer will be default next time you start Gimp. The toggle in Tool Options is set.

What you seem to be missing is the Tool Options dock. (2) See if you can find it on your set up. You might have some other tab open. If it is missing, you can always restore it Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Tool Options Top of the list which shows how important it is.

Quote:And tried that. Blew it's mind I think. I've now got 'crawling ants' all around my second layer drawing' (which is a traced line)
I'll figure it out I guess. This has somehow become a selection I suppose?

No that is not normal. No idea what you did. Turn the selection off before you wreck something.