Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new download 2.10 & G'Mic crash
Hi.
 I need a geek. First off I have to admit I'm no techie. I'm a newbie with using Windows 10 after many years using windows 7. THere are many things i just don't understand yet about W10, but one of the first things I need to install is GIMP with G'mic.
Gimp downloaded fine and then I downloaded G'Mic. I went to the preferences folder - plug-ins to show GIMP the path to G'mic, which you can see in the image I'm posting. Everything seemed to go well until I tried to use G'mic. G'mic started to load but then this happened. I hoped it was just a small glitch but after closing and retrying several times, & uninstalling and re-installing both GIMP & G'mic, I still got this response every time.
[Image: nZDQDl.png]
 I hope someone knows what I did wrong and can help me get back in the swing. Thank you Smile
Quote:...after closing and retrying several times, & uninstalling and re-installing both GIMP & G'mic, I still got this response every time...

Very-very rarely need to re-install over and over again. The problem is often in the Gimp profile. Start afresh and create a new default Gimp 2.10 profile.

1. Did you have an existing Gimp 2.8 installation? If you did disable by renaming it say, C:\Users\your name\.gimp-2.8 to C:\Users\your name\.gimp-2.8-bakup.

2. Delete the whole of the Gimp 2.10 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

3. Run Gimp 2.10 to create a new empty Gimp 2.10 profile.

Quote:...and then I downloaded G'Mic. I went to the preferences folder - plug-ins to show GIMP the path to G'mic, which you can see in the image I'm posting....

No longer any need to mess around adding paths. For a standard Gimp from gimp.org the gmic installer puts it in plugins folder and Gimp 2.10 recognises it from the naming convention. (folder name same as plugin name)

Just make sure you get the appropriate 64 or 32 bit installer from the gmic site. That is about the only thing that can go wrong

[Image: tfSdJzv.jpg]

I installed gmic yesterday in Win10 - Gimp 2.10.4 as a check for another post. Works here
Should look as this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/v627NVC.jpg Are you really ..User\user\.. ?
Thank you Rich for responding. I appreciate your effort to help me.
I followed your instruction and still end up with the exact same error. I'm going to give up for now, before I really mess things up while I muck around , not having a clue what I'm doing.  
 Is there something wrong with user\user? I just bought this desktop from a guy a couple of days ago and that's what was on it. Does it make a difference?
Quote: Is there something wrong with user\user?

I do not know, It is like Catch-22 Major Major and I think we had a Judge Judge one time.

Probably your best bet if you want a Gimp running without those errors is install the Partha Version. See: http://www.partha.com It contains some 'extras' including gmic.

It installs to its own folder so can not get mixed up with anything existing. Only thing it does use is the Gimp 10  profile, which you should have cleaned out.
WooHoo! Thank you so much Rich! The Partha Version works perfectly for me. Smile