Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project is in inches and saving at wrong size!
Sad 
Yeah.. how do i get it stay in inches?  I did a whole project except one small part and shut down for the night, next day opened it and while i was looking at it to remember what i wanted to do last, i zoomed in and saw the one bit was not in alignment, and as i started to move it, i saw the everything was off.  But then i realized it wasnt in inches anymore.  Making it difficult to size, for me.  ok, so i couldnt see anyway to get it back to inches,and just gave up in frustration. since it was completed.  I saved it and exported to png.  Well i just opened it my other really odd graphics software like b efore xp? lol i think? anyway, it was there, but instead of being 11 inches wide it was only 5.5 inches wide.  yeah.  I enlarged it and saved it aging. it looks fine other than that.

Now i just opened another project to find the same thing. its not in inches any longer. i was almost done with this one too.  ok how on earth do i make gimp stop playing around with my files and dimensions?  I know its probably something im doing, but all i do is 'save' and open recent.....thank you

I just opened this last one int he other software, photo draw, and yeah, same thing, gimp is saving these as half sized why? i have to say, my experience with gimp interface etc is not encouraging me to love gimp.  Which i had always loved it before, er long ago...years ago lol.  always like it more than photoshop.. cant rem why though now.  ok.. so 

HOW DO YOU GET THE FILE TO STAY THE SAME SIZE YOU CREATED IT?  I MEAN REALLY, LOL.  HAHAHA  THANK YOU

is this really true?  
"Warning
The changes you make to ruler units only last for the current session. If you close the image and reload it later, you will have to reset the ruler units again. In addition, if you edit multiple images during a single session, you will have to change the ruler settings for each image window."
In Gimp (and other bitmap editors), the only thing that matters is pixels.  When you see inches, you are just seeing the interpretation of pixels with a given "definition" in pixels per inch (as displayed/st in Image>Print size and in the image creation dialog).

If you save the image as XCF, or export it as JPG and PNG, this definition is saved in the file, so the size in inches when you reload should stay the same. There is no such feature in the GIF format, the image definition is lost.

It is otherwise true that the units in the rulers is a property of the view and not of the image. You set this with the small indicator at the bottom of the image window (marked 7 in the screen shots here). You can do View>New view to have two views on the image, one with  the rulers in inches and one with the rulers in pixels. This settings also acts in the displays of the Measure tool.
(08-25-2019, 10:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In Gimp (and other bitmap editors), the only thing that matters is pixels.  When you see inches, you are just seeing the interpretation of pixels with a given "definition" in pixels per inch (as displayed/st in Image>Print size and in the image creation dialog).

If you save the image as XCF, or export it as JPG and PNG, this definition is saved in the file, so the size in inches when you reload should stay the same. There is no such feature in the GIF format, the image definition is lost.

It is otherwise true that the units in the rulers is a property of the view and not of the image. You set this with the small indicator at the bottom of the image window (marked 7 in the screen shots here). You can do View>New view to have two views on the image, one with  the rulers in inches and one with the rulers in pixels. This settings also acts in the displays of the Measure tool.

what? i am saving as ping, and the image is 11x8.5 created that size whether in pixels or inches it should remain that size.  It is ending up half that size?  lol no inches matter as a creator.. =).   Yes i understand that its an interpretation.   

So do you think there is something wrong with my copy of gimp? I had some challenges when it locked up and crashed.  I copied all my files, er brushes etc so if i needed to reinstall it again i wouldnt loose all that.  while snooping in the gimp files i saw some programs, cant rem what they were called now, that seemed they could analyze gimp and perhaps get it running again.  I ran them a couple times.. and started gimp again, and yes gimp made it back open.  yay!  I have no idea why gimp crashed so badly, i just kept trying to start it hoping it would find the correct info. after i ran those programs it worked. 

thank you
(08-26-2019, 12:13 AM)Human3 Wrote: So do you think there is something wrong with my copy of gimp?

No, I don't think there is a problem with your copy of gimp.

What is the size of your image in pixels? This can be seen in the title bar - top left corner.

What is the resolution set to? This can be set in File > New (in the Advanced settings). For an existing image it can be seen in Image > Print Size.

Take one of your images and give that info here.
(08-26-2019, 05:45 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 12:13 AM)Human3 Wrote: So do you think there is something wrong with my copy of gimp?

No, I don't think there is a problem with your copy of gimp.

What is the size of your image in pixels? This can be seen in the title bar - top left corner.

What is the resolution set to? This can be set in File > New (in the Advanced settings). For an existing image it can be seen in Image > Print Size.

Take one of your images and give that info here.

I dont have time to wait for gimp to open right now, just leaving.. My new is set to inches, w=11 H= 8.5  300 dpi and if just trying to picture it in my head the screen is like around 1500 is about the middle..sorry and thank you!  will post when i get back home.
(08-26-2019, 02:39 PM)Human3 Wrote: My new is set to inches, w=11 H= 8.5  300 dpi

Re-read Ofnuts' post (post #2). Especially the first sentence.
"In Gimp (and other bitmap editors), the only thing that matters is pixels."

If you have the size in inches and the dpi then the size in pixels can be determined. But the fact remains: it is the size in pixels that is important.
(08-26-2019, 07:06 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 02:39 PM)Human3 Wrote: My new is set to inches, w=11 H= 8.5  300 dpi

Re-read Ofnuts' post (post #2). Especially the first sentence.
"In Gimp (and other bitmap editors), the only thing that matters is pixels."

If you have the size in inches and the dpi then the size in pixels can be determined. But the fact remains: it is the size in pixels that is important.

Yeah, well i do not understand. lol.  the other editor i use, the old photo draw by microsoft that came with  i cant rem, with word and c etc,  is also pixel based, yet it maintains my units as inches and when i save an image i have created and open it again, its still the same size as when i created it, 11x8.5  Wink  So the thing is, i have been telling everyone to use gimp, but i guess ill stop that as i am a human and so are they.  Apparently gimp is not human friendly, but is coder friendly? or pixel friendly? lol, im laughing really.  

I thought size doesnt matter, er the new. project/image size of 11x8.5, but the dpi does matter, giving more pixels per area  ok so yeah i guess i dont understand perhaps you could point me to something that explains why gimp is doing this? thanks again
(08-26-2019, 02:39 PM)Human3 Wrote: My new is set to inches, w=11 H= 8.5  300 dpi and if just trying to picture it in my head the screen is like around 1500 is about the middle..
So yes, at 300 DPI a 11" picture is 3300 pixels, so the middle is at 1650. So that would be the right size?
(08-26-2019, 10:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 02:39 PM)Human3 Wrote: My new is set to inches, w=11 H= 8.5  300 dpi and if just trying to picture it in my head the screen is like around 1500 is about the middle..
So yes, at 300 DPI a 11" picture is 3300 pixels, so the middle is at 1650. So that would be the right size?

yes still cant open gimp to look yet, but i think thats right. but why doesnt it wave it that size?  is it something in the save is changing the size then?  thank you again
(08-26-2019, 10:43 PM)Human3 Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 10:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

yes still cant open gimp to look yet, but i think thats right. but why doesnt it wave it that size?  is it something in the save is changing the size then?  thank you again

What size is the saved image, in pixels?