Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new project is in inches and saving at wrong size!
(08-27-2019, 12:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 10:43 PM)Human3 Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 10:23 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: So yes, at 300 DPI a 11" picture is 3300 pixels, so the middle is at 1650. So that would be the right size?

yes still cant open gimp to look yet, but i think thats right. but why doesnt it wave it that size?  is it something in the save is changing the size then?  thank you again

What size is the saved image, in pixels?

1650x1275  in photo draw when i look at its properties under 'picture setup'  it says its a postcard, lol. One thing each time i open an 'new' file it tells me it is larger than something, sorry im very tired right now. larger than some allocation. which i have not investigated what that is or how to change it i just say ok, as im in a hurry to get these made and printed for testing purposes. So i dont know if that is changing the size when i save it? i dont use any compression either. dont care if they are large files, want to keep all the details i can.

its odd that when i open it in gimp its the right size each time.. so it must be when i am saving it? ok calling it a night i cant be back here again till late tuesday afternoon or evening. but thank you for you help
Ok, finally had some time to get to computer and open gimp. I just created a new file and made a black box. It gave me the same error at the New, and i went into preferences to locate the challenge and changed it from 250 to 500 it wasnt in the image settings but someplace else. sorry i dont recall the exact menu option. Anyway then exported it as png and closed gimp and opened photo draw and opened the box file and yes! it was the right size.

I thought when crreating the 'new' file that it would override that setting and save the file my size not its size. Im a bit confused as why when i set a new project size image size that it doesnt override any previous settings? Thats the only clue that the file will not be the same size if viewed in anything other than gimp. And its interesting that when you open a saved file it opens to the larger image in gimp. yeah. so there is more behind the curtain, and i cant find any documentation on it. perhaps its a bug. so now i will go back through all the images i created and check and see if they will export again but to the full size instead of the half size. just doesnt make sense that it know the correct size but wont export it to that size. yeah.. im going in circles now lol.
(08-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Human3 Wrote: i went into preferences to locate the challenge and changed it from 250 to 500

I don't understand what you are referring to here.

Quote:I thought when crreating the 'new' file that it would override that setting and save the file my size not its size.

What size, in pixels, was the image you created (NB size in pixels, not inches)?

You closed Gimp, re-opened Gimp and opened the image again. What was the size, in pixels, now?

You opened the image in photo draw. What was the image size, in pixels, in photo draw?

I am sure that the size, in pixels, does not change. You don't have smaller and larger images. The image size stays the same.
(08-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Human3 Wrote: I thought when crreating the 'new' file that it would override that setting and save the file my size not its size.  Im a bit confused as why when i set a new project size image size that it doesnt override any previous settings?   

When you create an image in a Gimp session that already has open images, by default this new image will have the same size as the currently active image. 

But the default size for the first image you create after starting Gimp is whatever is defined in the Gimp preferences.

This behavior looks like, but is not, "Gimp remembers the size of the last opened image".
(08-28-2019, 05:13 AM)BlightyNo Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Humadff4tadfn43 Wrote: i went into preferences to locate the challenge and changed it from 250 to 500

I don't understand what you are referring to here.

Quote:I thought when crreating the 'new' file that it would override that setting and save the file my size not its size.

What size, in pixels, was the image you created (NB size in pixels, not inches)?

You closed Gimp, re-opened Gimp and opened the image again. What was the size, in pixels, now?

You opened the image in photo draw. What was the image size, in pixels, in photo draw?

I am sure that the size, in pixels, does not change. You don't have smaller and larger images. The image size stays the same.

I posted above all the answers per sizing in pixels, and YES the size did change from one graphics program to the other. To half the size. But i think i have fixed it.

The challenge, sorry, the problem was in the preferences for the size allotment for images. i was very tired last night when i was checking it all out. Only had 4 hours sleep the last two nights, =)

(08-28-2019, 07:05 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Human3 Wrote: I thought when crreating the 'new' file that it would override that setting and save the file my size not its size.  Im a bit confused as why when i set a new project size image size that it doesnt override any previous settings?   

When you create an image in a Gimp session that already has open images, by default this new image will have the same size as the currently active image. 

But the default size for the first image you create after starting Gimp is whatever is defined in the Gimp preferences.

This behavior looks like, but is not, "Gimp remembers the size of the last opened image".

hmm,   huh?   I create using the 'new' every time, no other images open in gimp.  it is set to 11x8.5 res 300.  and every time i did this i received the error saying the allocation for that size was larger than something.. so i went into preferences and changed the size up to 500 instead of the default size that gimp came with.  and when i saved that file it stay the full size, instead of being downsized to the 5.5x4.25 saved image, saved png.

Gimp did not let me override the default size of the image when saving to the .png file.  I think it should let me do that, or at least give more info in the error so you have a clue that the creation affects the saved png file.  Again im a human.. so gimp is not user friendly.  But i figured it out so now i can at least help all those other people i have talked into using gimp.Wink  Im not sure you understand what im saying either..  and i dont know how to be clearer except to show pictures maybe.

I believe i understand what you are saying about how gimp translates images when there is already one open.  thank you for telling me that , so you can use that, if you have the size you want opened already then you can open a few other images and they will be the same size and you can work from there.  ok thank you.  I will get some pictures and post..
(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: I create using the 'new' every time, no other images open in gimp.  it is set to 11x8.5 res 300.  and every time i did this i received the error saying the allocation for that size was larger than something.. so i went into preferences and changed the size up to 500 instead of the default size that gimp came with.  and when i saved that file it stay the full size, instead of being downsized to the 5.5x4.25 saved image, saved png.

The size Gimp complains about is the RAM used to edit the image. It's somehow related to the size in pixels, but is mostly a warning that if you add many layers you'll exhaist your RAM and things will get slow.

(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: Gimp did not let me override the default size of the image when saving to the .png file.  I think it should let me do that, or at least give more info in the error so you have a clue that the creation affects the saved png file.  Again im a human.. so gimp is not user friendly.  But i figured it out so now i can at least help all those other people i have talked into using gimp.Wink  Im not sure you understand what im saying either..  and i dont know how to be clearer except to show pictures maybe.

Nothing affects the size of the saved PNG. Gimps saves the file with the current image size in pixels, period. Letting you downscale on the fly at that point would be rather dangerous. We have seen many users showing up here trying to get help to recover images because they were a bit too hasty in their options when saving (2.8 introduced some safeguards). And yes, screenshots would be helpful because you are accusing Gimp of doing things I have never seen in 10 years of Gimp usage.

(08-28-2019, 06:29 PM)Human3 Wrote: I believe i understand what you are saying about how gimp translates images when there is already one open.  thank you for telling me that , so you can use that, if you have the size you want opened already then you can open a few other images and they will be the same size and you can work from there.  ok thank you.  I will get some pictures and post..

Please do. It's all explained in the "Attachments" link at the top right of this web page.