Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative layer side usable ?
Is it possible to draw on/use the the negative layer side in gimp  (-X, -Y) or the middle of the drawing in X 0, Y 0 ?
The only way I can think of, is a layer larger than the canvas and View -> Show All enabled

This paint brush at (about) -115 -54

Maybe if you give some context you will get a more sensible reply.
I've made a simple drawing in CAD saved it to a SVG file and imported the drawing in Gimp (as paths). The drawing was placed in the +Y / +X section of the gimp screen. Normaly I work on the +X / +Y section in CAD but It seems to be impossible to work in this section in gimp (not all things work draw is possible, could'n use selections / guides in the +Y / -X sections -  I could be wrong). Gimp is working in the -Y / +X  section and this is diffcult to use the -Y rulers when using dimensions related to a reference : one have to calculate the values from a new reference in the -Y section. Let's say the SVG drawing is 3570 units high, I have to move the paths to a imaginary reference line Y -4000 to make easy calculations if I draw/place some decorations in the -Y section. It's the first time I did something like that in gimp, so I don't know if my view on that is wrong. I don't feel it as a lack in gimp, so if it is so, it is what it is. No hard feelings about gimp, just want to mention this essue.
That is clear now. The CAD uses cartesian coordinates with origin 0,0 bottom left
...but Gimp and most bitmap graphics applications use top left 0,0

No real way to force Gimp to use 0,0 bottom left.
rich, thanks for the info.
I seem to recall a request much more recent than this from 2005 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/118 but I can not find it. Maybe you can raise another request.

In the meantime apart from CAD applications, Inkscape has the option to set 0,0 at bottom left.
(01-17-2023, 09:12 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I seem to recall a request much more recent than this from 2005 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/118 but I can not find it. Maybe you can raise another request.

In the meantime apart from CAD applications, Inkscape has the option to set 0,0 at bottom left.

rich, thanks for the effort. It seems that it is not easy to change the code.