Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-engraving
As an antidote to the awful java coding I currently have to do at work, I had to write some python, so here is ofn-engraving that takes you from this:

To this:

At the usual place.

Enjoy, and report bugs/problems.
Not only on images:

Thumbs Up 
    I will definitely have to learn how to use this script. But first I'll have to find better scripts to generate paths and learn how to use them.

I was actually trying to produce a result like this, and I was trying to get the Newsprint, but I think with this script I will get better results.

Thx Ofnuts!

Hmmm I could not post my image. It's sad to be noob!  Undecided
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Not a matter of noobnesss, could have been a matter if image size (the one you eventually posted is close to the 500K limit).
Quote:"Not a matter of noobnesss, could have been a matter if image size (the one you eventually posted is close to the 500K limit)." - Ofnuts

That was my guess. So I reduced the size of the initial image and I think in the third or fourth reduction I found a size that happened to be attached to the post message.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Updated the script:
  • added a new engraving method (varying dashes)
  • added some progress messages
Have fun.
(06-10-2019, 01:52 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Updated the script:
  • added a new engraving method (varying dashes)
  • added some progress messages
Have fun.

I do not know why, but in this new version I have found the plugin less stable.
Using the same image as test, sometimes the plugin runs smoothly, 

but sometimes presents error window.

With the previous version, I never had any problem.
I have not yet tested the new method (engraving method (varying dashes).
Using the same settings, with the same image, I noticed that the error occurred only when I selected Total Steps 180, for Engraving Lines with varying thickness.

Other settings ok, even Total Step 180 for Engraving Lines With Varying Dashes didn't display error.

Possibly a limit on the number of steps for particular image size.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think that what happens is that your path is so "dense" that you get only one layer. In other words, stroking the path with your minimal line width already male tje resulting image darker than the maximum darkness. Can you confirm by setting the Result to Keep layers and counting the layers that have been created?

Edit: problem and cause confirmed: fix uploaded soon, in the mean time, don't do that Smile
(06-13-2019, 06:59 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I think that what happens is that your path is so "dense" that you get only one layer. In other words, stroking the path with your minimal line width already male tje resulting image darker than the maximum darkness. Can you confirm by setting the Result to Keep layers and counting the layers that have been created?

Edit: problem and cause confirmed: fix uploaded soon, in the mean time, don't do that Smile

I could not reproduce the same conditions again. Although you tried to use the same settings. With this I got only a new layer generated, with the mask layer totally white and the image very dark and dense.

I've never used it before with the Layers option, I thought there would be as many layers as the number of steps used by inbetweener-02, but there's no such correlation, and with those layers the filter gets even more interesting!

Apparently everything is okay, just do not create such a dense mesh.  Blush

Thx Ofnuts.