Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-guides-from-layer
(03-01-2020, 10:10 AM)rich2005 Wrote: ... and a plea to Ofnuts, a new / updated plugin maybe with options (horizontal / vertical / both ) included. Might occupy your coffee break or perhaps not even that long Wink

The current version is written that way because it takes less time to remove an extra guide (one click-drag) than to select an option in a dialog (one click to select the option, one click to confirm the dialog). And if you only need one or two guides, it can be faster to position them by hand, for the same reason... So if we are talking about the 4 usual guides around the layer I don't think adding choices would be a great improvement, but I'm open to discussion.

If we add center guides (with the caveat that there is no center point if the layer dimension is an odd number) then it starts to make sense to not generate everything, but what the choices should be?
  • 6 check boxes, one for each possible guide
  • 3 check boxes, one for each horizontal/vertical pair and one for the center guides
  • 2 check boxes, one for the 4 outer guides and one for the two center guides (those can also be two distinct menu entries, since both would rarely be used together)
  • other combinations

And before you ask, IMHO the layer by percent is an awful design or at least it can be useful only in a few edge cases that anyone can solve with a calculator application. I'm convinced than in most cases the user wants N equally spaced guides and this is what the script should work with.
Whatever you say.
I am very hands-on and I can achieve a result using a selection and Gimps arithmetic facility when required. Although I can see some users needing a plugin.

I was thinking more along the lines of horizontal + vertical values and if the value is zero (or 100% ) then no guide. Easy enough to make edge guides with the regular Gimp options.

However, as an engineer I would not expect you to design a bridge. Although a plank over a stream can be considered one, which equates to my scripting ability, FORTRAN and punched cards Wink
(03-01-2020, 02:04 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Whatever you say.
I am very hands-on and I can achieve a result using a selection and Gimps arithmetic facility when required. Although I can see some users needing a plugin.

I was thinking more along the lines of horizontal + vertical  values and if the value is zero (or 100% ) then no guide.
{/quote]

[quote='rich2005' pid='17053' dateline='1583071486']
Easy enough to make edge guides with the regular Gimp options.
{/quote]
Not always. How do you make guides around a transparent layer where the opaque contents don't extend to the boundaries (this is useful for text, for instance).

[quote='rich2005' pid='17053' dateline='1583071486']
However, as an engineer I would not expect you to design a bridge. Although a plank over a stream can be considered one, which equates to my scripting ability, FORTRAN and punched cards Wink
Just trying to avoid the overhead of a 4-lane suspension bridge if all there is are a few pedestrians...