Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Github for gimp plug ins
Is it a good idea to use github for creating and using gimp plug-ins ? I guess it is very useful to share them, and for team work. But is it useful to clone a repository directly in your plug-in folder ? will it keep the plug-ins up to date ?

I just started using it but I'm still very new to it. If anyone has pieces of advice, experience or whatever  please share
(07-25-2023, 01:16 AM)jacques_duflos Wrote: Is it a good idea to use github for creating and using gimp plug-ins ? I guess it is very useful to share them, and for team work. But is it useful to clone a repository directly in your plug-in folder ? will it keep the plug-ins up to date ?

I just started using it but I'm still very new to it. If anyone has pieces of advice, experience or whatever  please share

It a good solution to share code with developers. But it should no be accessed by regular users. You want these people to use a stable version, with just the files needed, while GitHub shows by default the current development version with plenty of extra files.

I made my life a lot easier when I distributed my code as ZIP files. I suddenly stopped to have to answer questions dealing with a .txt extension added at random by browsers, or with the executable flag on Linux/OSX (because I can set it in the ZIP file).

Likewise,if you want to run a plugin from GitHub, check to see if the developer has set u a downloadable version somewhere.