Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing plug-ins on the Mac
I am completely new to Gimp so perhaps that is why I am having this issue, but all of my attempts to install plug-ins for Gimp on the Mac seem to fail. Either that or I don't know where to find them to use when restarting Gimp. I have now tried 3 processes, none of which seem to have worked.

1) I opened the Gimp Preferences pane and opened the Folders -> Plug-ins pane. There was a path specified for plug-ins under Users/Library/Application Support/GIMP and, since it did not exist, I created it and copied the plug-ins to that path. I then restarted Gimp but could not find any plug-ins listed in the Gimp dropdown that I checked (Filters, Tools, Image and Edit).

2) I then copied the plug-ins directly to the Gimp.app Contents path specified in the same Plug-ins pane, restarted Gimp and still could not find the plug-ins. I then restarted the Mac, but that did not help.

3) I then added a link in the pane to the existing Photoshop plug-ins folder on my disc, restarted Gimp but no luck. Still can not find any reference to the plug-ins in Gimp.

I am running Gimp 2.10.34, which was the latest version I found online when I downloaded it, and my Mac is running Monterey, 12.2.1. It is running on an Intel MacBook Pro, which I am using in clamshell mode, although I don't assume that makes any difference. The plug-ins I am using are from Topaz and Skylum and have worked well in my other photo editor (PhotoLine) and perhaps they are properly installed and working with Gimp but I just can't find them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Plugins for Gimp are... Gimp plugins, written to the Gimp programming interface. They are not random plugins designed to work with the API of other photo editors....
(04-25-2023, 04:29 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Plugins for Gimp are... Gimp plugins, written to the Gimp programming interface. They are not random plugins designed to work with the API of other photo editors....

Oh. That is something I did not know. I assumed that any photoshop compatible plugin would work with Gimp, but I guess that assumption was wrong.

Thank you.